No. 4 Seed Huskies Sweep Fairfield 4-0 In NCAA First Round
May 15, 2004
SEATTLE, Wash. - The fourth-seeded Washington women's team breezed past its opening round match of the NCAA Championship, sweeping Fairfield 4-0 and advancing to the second round of the tournament for the fourth-straight year. The Huskies, ranked 10th nationally, will face a familiar foe in Pac-10 opponent Oregon, Sunday, May 16 at noon at Bill Quillian Stadium for the right to advance to the 16-team NCAA finals held in Athens, Ga., May 20-23. No. 32 Oregon edged No. 31 New Mexico in the other first round match, 4-3.
The Huskies (19-5) won the doubles point and the first three singles matches to take the 4-0 victory. Washington failed to lose a set to Fairfield (19-6), who was competing in its first-ever NCAA Championship.
'I think it was great to get a win under out belts,' UW head coach Patty McCain said. 'It's been three weeks since we've played and it's just great to shake off the bugs. I think it was a great experience for Fairfield to come out here and play in their first NCAA Championships. For us it was great, we got to play a little bit outside, a little bit inside so depending on what happens tomorrow we'll be ready for both.'
Senior Claire Carter and junior Dea Sumantri, ranked 10th in doubles, defeated the Fairfield duo of Taylor Barvoets and Diana Webb, 8-2, at No. 1. On the No. 2 doubles court, UW sophomore Dinka Hadzic and senior Erin Hoe registered an 8-1 win over Erin Reeves and Andrea Suriano, clinching the doubles point. The match on Court Three ended just after the clinching match, with junior Mugette Ahn and freshman Saskia Nauenberg earning an 8-2 win over Annie Mullowney and Megan Stauffer, 8-2.
Just after singles action began, rain showers forced the match to be relocated indoors to the Nordstrom Tennis Center. Without losing focus, the Huskies proceeded to make quick work of the Stags. Hadzic won the first match at No. 2, 6-0, 6-1, while Hoe followed suit at No. 3 with a 6-0, 6-1 win. Sumantri's win at No. 2 singles sealed the win for Washington, defeating Barvoets, 6-0, 6-0. Carter and Ahn were close to winning their matches, leading both second sets 5-0 when the match was clinched.
The Huskies will now face a very familiar opponent in Oregon (17-8), a team which defeated New Mexico in a 4-3 thriller earlier today. Daria Panova's three-set win at No. 1 singles clinched the victory for the Ducks. Sunday marks the first time these Pac-10 opponents have faced each other in NCAA play, but Washington leads the all-time series 52-2. The Huskies have defeated Oregon twice this year.
'I think it's really fitting that in order to get to Athens we have to get through the Ducks,' McCain said. 'They're a very tough opponent, they're feisty. I'm looking forward to the match, it will be a lot of fun. It's what the postseason is all about.'
NCAA Women's Tennis - First Round
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Fairfield
May 15, 2004 - Bill Quillian Stadium - Seattle, Wash
No. 10 Washington 4, Fairfield 0
Matches were moved to the Nordstrom Tennis Center due to rain shortly after singles action began.
Doubles (Washington wins point)
1. (10) Carter/Sumantri (UW) def. Barvoets/Webb (F), 8-1
2. Hadzic/Hoe (UW) vs. Reeves/Suriano (F), 8-1*
3. Ahn/Nauenberg (UW) vs. Mullowney/Stauffer (F), 8-2
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. (33) Claire Carter (UW) vs. Diana Webb (F), 6-1, 5-0 DNF
2. (17) Dea Sumantri (UW) def. Taylor Barvoets (F), 6-0, 6-0*
3. (64) Erin Hoe (UW) def. Andrea Suriano (F), 6-0, 6-1
4. Dinka Hadzic (UW) def. Erin Reeves (F), 6-0, 6-1
5. Saskia Nauenberg (UW) vs. Megan Stauffer (F), 6-1, 4-0 DNF
6. Mugette Ahn (UW) vs. Annie Mullowney (F),6-0, 5-0 DNF
Order of Finish: 4,3,2
No. 32 Oregon 4, No. 31 New Mexico 3
Doubles (Oregon wins point)
1. (44) Panova/Nagle (UO) def. Gersic/Ruiz-Fabrega (NM), 8-5
2. Heidbrink/Robertson (NM) def. Leksinska/Dieskova (UO), 8-3
3. Mendiburu/Bak (UO) def. Kovacek/Quintal (NM), 8-5*
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. (12) Daria Panova (UO) def. (74) Maja Kovacek (NM), 5-7, 7-6, 6-2*
2. (111) Iva Gersic (NM) def. (71) Dominika Dieskova (UO), 6-3, 7-5
3. Courney Nagle (UO) def. Tiffany Robertson (NM), 6-3, 6-0
4. Davina Mendiburu (UO) def. Michelle Heidbrink (NM), 6-1, 6-4
5. Tjasa Suvak (NM) def. Anna Leksinska (UO), 6-2, 6-2
6. Maria Ruiz-Fabrega (NM) def. Ester Bak (UO), 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 6, 5, 2, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive