Stanford Cruises Past Pacific, 4-0
May 15, 2004
STANFORD, Calif. - The No. 9 ranked Stanford University men's tennis team opened the 2004 NCAA Tournament with a 4-0 win over the Pacific Tigers in first round action at the Taube Tennis Center, Saturday afternoon. The Cardinal will host the No. 23 ranked Washington Huskies in the round of 32 on Sunday at 12:00 pm (PT). With the win, the Cardinal improve to 17-7 on the season, while the Tigers finish their season with a 15-10 overall record.
The Cardinal opened the day by capturing the doubles point. The tandem of senior captain Carter Morris and junior Sam Warburg cruised to an 8-2 win over Pacific's Lennart Maack and Niclas Otte. Stanford sealed up the doubles point when KC Corkery and doubles partner junior Phil Sheng dispatched UOP's Michael Duong and Vladimir Zdravkovic, 8-3.
Stanford stayed aggressive during singles play, capturing three consecutive matches to collect the 4-0. Corkery handled Pacific's Arnar Sigurdsson, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 2 singles spot, while Morris was the next Cardinal to finish, downing Otte, 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 5 singles position. Warburg, the 2004 Pac-10 Player of the Year, closed out the win for the Cardinal with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Maack, the 2004 Big West Conference Player of the Year, 6-3, 6-2.
The Cardinal will take the court versus the Washington Huskies tomorrow for the right to advance to the NCAA Championship at Tulsa, Oklahoma on May 22-25. Earlier in the day, the Washington Huskies defeated the New Mexico Lobos, 4-0.
No. 9 Stanford 4, Pacific 0
Doubles (Stanford Wins Point)
1. Carter Morris/Sam Warburg (S) def. Lennart Maack/Niclas Otte - 8-2
2. KC Corkery/Phil Sheng (S) def. Michael Duong/Vladimir Zdravkovic - 8-3
3. James Pade/James Wan (S) vs. Tyler Black/Arnar Sigurdsson - 5-5 (DNF)
Order of Finish: 1, 2
1. Sam Warburg (S) def. Lennart Maack (P) - 6-3, 6-2
2. KC Corkery (S) def. Arnar Sigurdsson (P) - 6-1, 6-1
3. Phil Sheng (S) vs. Michael Duong (P) - 6-2, 4-4 (DNF)
4. Jame Pade (S) vs. Vladimir Zdravkovic (P) - 6-4, 4-4
5. Carter Morris (S) def. Niclas Otte (P) - 6-1, 6-2
6. Chris Rasmussen (S) vs. Tyler Black (P) 6-3, 5-4
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 1