Trojans Ease Past Montana State, 4-0
May 15, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The second-seeded and fourth-ranked USC men's tennis team eased past Montana State, 4-0, in the first round of the 2004 NCAA Tournament on Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. The Trojans improve to 20-3 overall and will face No. 32 California in the second round on Sunday at noon.
Montana State, which earned the program's second-ever NCAA automatic bid by winning the Big Sky Championship, concludes its season with a 17-6 record.
Parker Collins and Ruben Torres were the first pair to notch a victory for USC as they defeated Jake Berrichoa and Adam Stutts, 8-1, at court three. The Trojans led on both remaining courts, as Adriano Biasella and Johan Berg collected an 8-5 win over Mareck Gebicki and Braden Olson at center court to secure the doubles point. The No. 2 match was suspended.
In singles, USC won the first set on all six courts as players began to notch their victories. Drew Hoskins collected a 6-0, 6-1 win on court six, followed by Torres who defeated Stutts on court five, 6-1, 6-2. Berg accounted for the match-clincher by beating MSU's Tejeshwara Chigateri, 6-1, 6-3, at the No. 3 spot. The remaining matches were suspended.
#4 USC 4, Montana State 0
(1) #44 Biasella/Berg (USC) def. Gebicki/Olson (MSU) - 8-5
(2) #18 Hoskins/Langre (USC) vs. Chigateri/Ueltschi (MSU) - 5-2 suspended
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Berriochoa/Stutts (MSU) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #19 Adriano Biasella (USC) vs. #78 Federico Ueltschi (MSU) - 6-2, 5-5 suspended
(2) #86 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) vs. Marek Gebicki (MSU) - 6-4, 1-2 suspended
(3) #82 Johan Berg (USC) def. Tejeshwara Chigateri (MSU) - 6-1, 6-3
(4) Daniel Langre (USC) vs. Braden Olson (MSU) - 6-4, 2-1 suspended
(5) #105 Ruben Torres (USC) def. Adam Stutts (MSU) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Jake Berriochoa (MSU) - 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: D3, D1, S6, S5, S3
* Match-clinching victories.
- GO SC -