Women's Tennis Moves Into Round of 16 With Win Over Arizona
May 15, 2004
LOS ANGELES - With strong singles play, the sixth-ranked USC women's tennis team cruised past #41 Arizona for a 4-0 victory in the NCAA Second Round on Saturday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Women of Troy advance to the Round of 16 and will face crosstown rival UCLA in Athens, Ga., on Thursday, May 20, at noon EST.
Arizona completes its season with a 7-13 overall record. USC improves to 18-6.
USC's Anca Anastasiu and Dianne Matias kicked off doubles play with a dominating 8-1 victory at No. 2 over Arizona's Debbie Larocque and Kasia Jakowlow. In a closer battle, the Wildcats' fifth-ranked duo of Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar defeated sixth-ranked Luana Magnani and Carine Vermeulen, 8-4, at center court.
The doubles point was left up to the outcome at the No. 2 position where Arizona seemed to have the advantage. USC was down 5-2 before Bernadette Bayani and Judy DeVera broke serve twice to climb back and knot the score at 6-6. The pair won the next two games to take the match 8-6 and give USC a 1-0 lead.
The Women of Troy carried the momentum into singles play and quickly took the lead on five of six courts. Vermeulen gave USC a 2-0 advantage as she blazed past Mlakar, 6-0, 6-1, at court two. Anastasiu followed with a 6-2, 6-1 victory at the No. 3 position and Bayani, just as she did in doubles, clinched the win by beating Jessie Rochefort, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 5.
USC's DeVera was pulled out of the singles lineup due to injury and Melissa Esmero entered at No. 6.
NCAA Women's Tennis Second Round - Los Angeles
#6 USC 4, #41 Arizona 0
(1) #5 Hollands/Mlakar (Ariz) def. #6 Magnani/Vermeulen (USC) - 8-4
(2) Anastasiu/Matias (USC) def. Larocque/Jakowlew (Ariz) - 8-1
(3) Bayani/DeVera (USC) def. Perry/Rochefort (Ariz) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #15 Luana Magnani (USC) vs. #11 Dianne Hollands (Ariz) - 4-6, 1-1 suspended
(2) #77 Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Maja Mlakar (Ariz) - 6-0, 6-1
(3) #46 Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Kelly Perry (Ariz) - 6-2, 6-1
(4) Dianne Matias (USC) vs. Debbie Larocque (Ariz) - 6-4, 3-0 suspended
(5) Bernadette Bayani (USC) def. Jessie Rochefort (Ariz) - 6-2, 6-2
(6) Melissa Esmero (USC) vs. Iza Ferreira (Ariz) - 6-4, 2-1 suspended
Order of Finish: D2, D1, D3*, S2, S3, S5*
* Match-clinching victories.
- GO SC -
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive