Huskies' Sweet 16 Bid Falls Short At Stanford
May 16, 2004
PALO ALTO, Calif. - Washington's bid for a fourth-straight trip to the NCAA Sweet 16 was thwarted by Pac-10 opponent Stanford, as the Husky men's tennis team fell to the Cardinal 4-2, in the NCAA regional final played at the Taube Tennis Center in Palo Alto, Calif. Washington, who has appeared in the NCAA tournament the last 10-straight years, finishes the season with an overall record of 15-9.
Washington jumped out to an early 1-0 lead by winning the important doubles point. Christoph Palmanshofer and Peter Scharler captured the first win with an 8-6 decision over Stanford's James Pade and James Wan at the No. 3 spot. At No. 1 doubles, UW's Alex Vlaski and Daniel Chu held a 5-2 lead midway through the match before Carter Morris and Sam Warburg rallied for a 9-7 victory.
Stanford came back winning the first two singles matches, as Corkery defeated Slovic at No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-2, and Warburg took care of Vlaski at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-2. The Cardinal extended its lead to 3-1 on a straight-set win by Morris at No. 6 singles over Weiss, 6-4, 6-4. But Washington wasn't about to go down easily, as the Huskies closed in 3-2 on a clutch win by Palmanshofer at No. 4 singles, defeating Sheng, 6-1, 7-6.
With a trip to Tulsa for the NCAA Sweet 16 riding on the result of the last two singles matches, Stanford's Pade posted a three-set comeback to defeat Scharler in the No. 5 position. Scharler had won the first set 6-3, but Pade came back to win the next two 6-2, 7-5. Pade clinched the win for the Cardinal, with the match at No. 3 still being played. Chu was trailing his match to Wan, 3-6, 6-3, 4-1 before play was suspended.
Although the entire team won't be making the trip to Tulsa for the NCAA team finals, three Huskies will be competing in the Singles and Doubles Championship following the team competition. Slovic and Vlaski will compete in the 64-player singles bracket, while Chu and Vlaski will take part in the 32-team doubles bracket.
NCAA Men's Tennis - Second Round
May 16, 2004 - Taube Tennis Center
No. 9 Stanford 4, No. 23 Washington 2
1. Carter Morris/Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Alex Vlaski/Daniel Chu (UW), 9-7
2. Alex Slovic/Nick Weiss (UW) def. KC Corkery/Phil Sheng (Stanford), 9-7*
3. Christoph Palmanshofer/Peter Scharler (UW) def. James Pade/James Wan (Stanford), 8-6.
*clinched doubles point
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Alex Vlaski (UW), 6-3, 6-2
2. KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Alex Slovic (UW), 6-3, 6-2
3. James Wan (Stanford) vs. Daniel Chu (UW), DNF
4. Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford), 6-1, 7-6
5. James Pade (Stanford) def. Peter Scharler (UW), 3-6, 6-2, 7-5*
6. Carter Morris (Stanford) def. Nick Weiss (UW), 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 6, 4, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 11:00am PTLive
TOMORROW | 5:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive