Men's Tennis Advances With Win Over Cal
May 16, 2004
LOS ANGELES - The second-seeded USC men's tennis team defeated 32nd-ranked and conference-foe California, 4-1, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium. With the win, the Trojans move into the Round of 16 to face Arkansas on Saturday, May 22, at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa, Okla. Times have yet to be determined.
The Golden Bears complete their season with a 8-17 overall record. USC improves to 21-3.
The Trojans took control early in the match with strong play at No. 2 and 3 doubles. Daniel Langre and Drew Hoskins, and Parker Collins and Ruben Torres each played outstanding matches to get past their opponents, 8-2 and 8-4, and secure the doubles point. The center court match was suspended just as USC's Adriano Biasella and Johan Berg were mounting a comeback against Cal's sixth-ranked duo of Patrick Briaud and BalazsVeress.
Jamil Al-Agba kicked-off singles play for the Trojans with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over the higher-ranked Veress at the No. 2 spot. Shortly after, Wayne Wong gave Cal its first and only point of the match with a 6-4, 6-4 decision over Biasella at No. 1.
The Bears pushed USC for the final two points. After earning a 6-3 win in the first set, Berg was forced to win the second set in a breaker, for a final 6-3, 7-6 victory. Langre, who claimed a 7-6 win in the breaker in the first set, blanked Briaud in the second set to give USC a 7-6, 6-0 match-clinching victory at court four.
NCAA Men's Tennis Second Round - Los Angeles, Calif.
#4 USC 4, #32 California 1
(1) #44 Biasella/Berg (USC) vs. #6 Briaud/Veress (Cal) - 5-6 suspended
(2) #18 Hoskins/Langre (USC) def. Browne/Wong (Cal) - 8-2
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) def. Minato/Pettit (Cal) - 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #56 Wayne Wong (Cal) def. #19 Adriano Biasella (USC) - 6-4, 6-4
(2) #86 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. #71 Balazs Veress (Cal) - 6-1, 6-3
(3) #82 Johan Berg (USC) def. Tyler Browne (Cal) - 6-3, 7-6 (4)
(4) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Patrick Briaud (Cal) - 7-6, 6-0
(5) #105 Ruben Torres (USC) vs. Jake Leivent (Cal) - 7-6, 2-2 suspended
(6) Drew Hoskins (USC) vs. Kuni Minato (Cal) - 6-4, 5-3 suspended
Order of Finish: D2, D3*, S2, S1, S3, S4*
* Match-clinching victories.
- GO SC -