No. 20 Arizona Men's Tennis Falls to No. 8 Florida
May 16, 2004
Gainesville, Fla. - The No. 20 Arizona men's tennis team fell to the top-seeded No. 8-ranked Florida Gators, 4-0, in the Second Round of the NCAA Team Championships. The Gators won the first two doubles matches to finish, which earned the team the doubles point and then went on to win the first three singles matches to clinch the match. With the loss Arizona falls to 15-9 overall, while Florida improves to 18-7.
In doubles, the first match to finish was on court three, where senior Tom Lloyd and junior Paul Warkentin fell to Stefan Tell and Martin Stiegwardt, 8-3. The only other doubles match to finish was on court one, where the No. 24 ranked team of junior Colin O'Grady and sophomore Roger Matalonga lost to the No. 41 ranked team of Hamid Mirzadeh and Chris Brandi, 8-3.
In singles, Florida rattled off three straight wins, to clinch the match. First off the courts was Kim who fell to No. 76 Janne Holmia, 6-2, 6-1, on court two. On court one, No. 77 Roger Matalonga lost to No. 12 Hamid Mirzadeh, 6-4, 6-3. Clinching the match for Florida was Chris Brandi who defeated Andrus on court four, 6-2, 6-3. Arizona was leading in the three other matches that did not finish; O'Grady was up one set against No. 87 Vladimir Obradovic on court three, while teammates Lloyd and Warkentin were defeating their opponents on courts five and six respectively.
The No. 24-ranked team of Colin O'Grady and Roger Matalonga will be in action next during the first rounds of the NCAA Doubles Championships, which will take place after the completion of the NCAA Team Championships in Tulsa, Okla, and will begin on May 26.
1. (41) Hamid Mirzadeh/Chris Brandi (UF) def. (24) O'Grady/Matalonga (UA), 8-3
2. Kim/Andrus (UA) vs. Obradovic/Holmia (UF), dnf
3. Tell/Stiegwardt (UF) def. Lloyd/Warkentin (UA), 8-3
1. (12) Mirzadeh (UF) def. (77) Matalonga (UA), 6-4, 6-3
2. (76) Holmia (UF) def. Kim (UA), 6-2, 6-1
3. O'Grady (UA) vs. (87) Obradovic (UF), dnf
4. Brandi (UF) def. Andrus (UA), 6-2, 6-3
5. Lloyd (UA) vs. Dolberg (UF), dnf
6. Warkentin (UA) vs. Sherry (UF), dnf