Stanford Travels to Georgia for NCAA Tournament
May 17, 2004
2004 Stanford Women's Tennis
This Week's Action
NCAA Women's Tennis Championships
May 20-23 * University of Georgia * Athens, Ga.
STANFORD SEASON UPDATE:
* - No. 2-seeded Stanford advanced to the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 after consecutive shutouts over Quinnipiac (4-0) and No. 26 Michigan (4-0) in first- and second-round action at Taube Tennis Center.
* - No. 1 Stanford claimed its 17th-straight Pacific-10 Conference title after tallying a perfect 8-0 league record ... The Cardinal remain the top team in the nation with an unblemished 25-0 overall record ... Stanford has been ranked No. 1 by the ITA for 12-straight weeks.
* - Stanford's last perfect season was in 2001, head coach Lele Forood's first year at the Cardinal helm ... Stanford has posted nine unblemished season's in its history.
* - The Cardinal have tallied 16 shutouts this year.
* - Two regulars in Stanford's lineup stand undefeated in dual singles action: senior Lauren Barnikow (23-0) and freshman Theresa Logar (24-0).
* - Stanford has won 166-of-172 matches over the past six seasons.
* - The Cardinal have claimed 12 all-time NCAA titles and 13 collegiate titles (1982 was the first year of the NCAA Tournament) ... Stanford last won the Tournament in 2002 ... Last season, the Cardinal took second place after falling to Florida 4-3.
* - The Cardinal boast an 82-11 (.882) all-time Tournament record.
* - Stanford has competed in post-season action for the past 30 years ... The Cardinal have earned a berth into the NCAA Tournament in every year of the Tournament's 23-year existence.
* - Stanford has advanced to the final match in 17 of its last 22 NCAA Championship appearances.
* - Head coach Lele Forood has led Stanford to two national titles and one runner-up finish during her three-year tenure with the Cardinal.
* - Stanford athletes have tallied 11 singles and four doubles NCAA titles ... As a freshman last season, Amber Liu claimed the NCAA singles titles.
* - The Cardinal won six-straight NCAA titles from 1986-91.
* - Head coach Lele Forood was named the Pacific-10 Conference Coach of the Year as voted on by the league's coaches.
* - The top-ranked duo of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette earned Pac-10 Doubles Team of the Year honors for the second-straight season.
* - First-Team All-Pac-10 honors went to sophomores Alice Barnes and Amber Liu.
* - Junior Erin Burdette earned Second-Team honors, while senior Lauren Barnikow and freshman Theresa Logar earned Honorable Mention All-Pac-10 honors.
PAC-10 INDIVIDUAL TOURNAMENT:
* - The duo of Alice Barnes and Erin Burdette claimed the Pac-10 Tournament doubles title ... The pair, competing together for the first time this season, tallied four wins on their way to the championship.
* - Barnes took second-place in the singles main draw after falling to No. 3 Kops-Jones in the championship match 6-3, 6-4.
* - Freshman Anne Yelsey took the singles title in the Pac-10 Tournament Invitational draw ... After a bye in the first round, Yelsey notched four consecutive wins.
* - The Cardinal pair of Theresa Logar and Story Tweedie-Yates claimed the doubles invitational title.
* - The duo of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette are ranked No. 1 in the nation in doubles by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association ... Alice Barnes and Burdette are ranked No. 16, while Emilia Anderson and Anne Yelsey stand at No. 56.
* - In the singles rankings, Amber Liu is No. 7, Alice Barnes is No. 10, Erin Burdette is No. 23, Theresa Logar is No. 40, Lauren Barnikow is No. 56, Emilia Anderson is No. 60, Story Tweedie-Yates is No. 78 and Anne Yelsey is No. 92.
* - Stanford leads the Pac-10 with eight players ranked in the ITA's Top-125.