Men's Tennis Moves Into NCAA Quarterfinals
May 22, 2004
TULSA, Okla. - The second-seeded USC men's tennis team took the first step en route to the national championship by defeating 27th-ranked Arkansas, 4-1, in the NCAA Round of 16 on Saturday afternoon in Tulsa. With the win, the Trojans advance to the quarterfinals and will face Stanford on Sunday, May 23, at 2 p.m. CST at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center on the Tulsa campus.
The conditions were difficult as the teams battled gusty winds for most of the match.
'In conditions like this the matches can really go either way,' said USC head coach Peter Smith. 'I'm proud of the way our players handled it and we're excited to be moving on.'
The Trojans managed to hold off a Razorback rally at No. 2 doubles to clinch the first point of the afternoon. Following Adriano Biasella's and Johan Berg's 8-5 win at center court, Drew Hoskins and Daniel Langre earned the doubles point with a 9-7 win at No. 2.
USC showed little signs of slowing upon entering singles play. Berg, Langre and Hoskins each posted 6-2 victories in the first set, while Jamil Al-Agba collected a more dramatic 7-6 first-set victory in the breaker. Despite dropping the first set at No. 1 and No. 5, the matches would prove unnecessary. Berg completed a 6-2, 6-3 win over Rohan Gaijar at court three, and Hoskins followed with a 6-2, 6-1 decision over Imraan Ismail at No. 6 to give USC a 3-0 lead. Langre, who was up 5-2 in the final set, fought-off Matt Simpson's comeback efforts to eventually clinch the match with a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 4.
USC and Stanford have already faced each other twice this season, each team winning on its home court. The last time these two conference rivals faced each other in the postseason was in 1996. That season, the Cardinal defeated the Trojans, 4-1, in the NCAA quarterfinal round at Athens, Ga. USC owns a 91-70 all-time record against Stanford.
NCAA Men's Tennis Round of 16 - Tulsa, Okla.
#4 USC 4, #27 Arkansas 1
(1) #44 Biasella/Berg (USC) def. #52 Price/Simpson (Ark) - 8-5
(2) #18 Hoskins/Langre (USC) def. Roberts/Ismail (Ark) - 9-7
(3) Collins/Torres (USC) vs. Zguns/Gajjar (Ark) - 6-7 suspended
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #38 Nathan Price (Ark) def. #19 Adriano Biasella (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(2) #86 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) vs. #18 Adrians Zguns (Ark) - 7-6, 2-1 suspended
(3) #82 Johan Berg (USC) def. Rohan Gaijar (Ark) - 6-2, 6-3
(4) Daniel Langre (USC) def. Matt Simpson (Ark) - 6-2, 6-3
(5) #105 Ruben Torres (USC) vs. Matt Roberts (Ark) - 4-6, 6-3 suspended
(6) Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Imraan Ismail (Ark) - 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: D1, D2*, S3, S6, S1, S4*
* Match-clinching victories.
- GO SC -
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive