Stanford Defeats Vanderbilt 4-0, Earns Championship Appearance
May 22, 2004
ATHENS, Ga. - The Stanford Cardinal defeated the Vanderbilt Commodores in semi-final action of the 2004 Women's NCAA Tennis Championships at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex on the campus of the University of Georgia Saturday evening. Passing showers forced an approximately hour and a half rain delay before the #2 seed Stanford and the #3 Vanderbilt squared off.
Stanford earned the doubles point after claiming wins at No. 2 and No. 1. The Cardinal duo of Amber Liu and Alice Barnes were the first off the court, handing Vanderbilt's Audra Falk and Annie Menees an 8-3 loss. Next, the Stanford pair of Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette sealed the point with an 8-2 defeat of Aleke Tsoubanos and Kelly Schmandt.
Stanford soon extended its lead to 2-0 when No. 5 player Theresa Logar defeated Vanderbilt's Ashley Schellhas 6-2, 6-2. Soon after, Lauren Barnikow secured a 3-0 match lead for the Cardinal when she topped the Commodores' Amanda Fish 6-4, 6-2. One win away from their sixth-straight national championship appearance, Stanford's Alice Barnes defeated Kelly Schmandt 6-2, 6-2 to secure an all Pac-10 final with the UCLA Bruins.
Stanford and UCLA will meet to decide the 2004 NCAA team champion at noon on Sunday.
#2 seed STANFORD vs. #3 seed VANDERBILT
1. Lauren Barnikow and Erin Burdette-1 (SU) d. Aleke Tsoubanos and Kelly Schmandt-2 (VU), 8-2*
2. Amber Liu and Alice Barnes (SU) d. Audra Falk and Annie Menees-39 (VU), 8-3
3. Emilia Anderson and Anne Yelsey-56 (SU) vs. Ashley Schellhas and Amanda Fish (VU), 6-6, DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
*Clinched doubles point
1. Amber Liu-7 (SU) vs. Audra Falk-13 (VU), 4-6, 5-4, DNF
2. Alice Barnes-10 (SU) d. Kelly Schmandt-61 (VU), 6-2, 6-2**
3. Erin Burdette-23 (SU) vs. Aleke Tsoubanos-120 (VU), 2-6, 5-4, DNF
4. Lauren Barnikow-56 (SU) d. Amanda Fish (VU), 6-4, 6-2
5. Theresa Logar-40 (SU) d. Ashley Schellhas (VU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Emilia Anderson-60 (SU) vs. Annie Menees (VU), 4-6, 2-3, DNF
Order of Finish: 5,4, 2