Tennis Ends NCAA Run With Loss To Baylor
May 24, 2004
TULSA, Okla. - Windy conditions and a tough opponent proved too difficult to overcome for the fourth-ranked and second-seeded USC men's tennis team as they fell 4-0 to third-ranked and third-seeded Baylor in the NCAA Semifinals on Monday afternoon at the Michael D. Case Tennis Center in Tulsa. The Trojans complete the season at 23-4 overall, while the Bears advance to the championship match for the first time in program history with a 31-2 record.
'I want to congratulate Baylor,' said USC head coach Peter Smith, who made his first career coaching appearance in the NCAA semifinals. 'It was tough conditions for both teams and they handled it a lot better than us. That was the bottom line.'
'I think if you want to make excuses, you can come up with a ton of excuses,' said USC senior Ruben Torres. 'I just think that you've got to give credit to Baylor for just coming out and basically competing very hard.'
With the support of a large crowd that traveled from Waco, Texas, Baylor gained momentum early in the match and never faltered. The Bears earned the doubles point with wins at courts one and three, then sealed the victory with singles victories at the No. 1, 2 and 4 positions.
Doubles play came down to center court as the two ranked doubles teams were alternating points. Knotted at 5-5, 20th-ranked Benedikt Dorsch and Matija Zgaga finally broke serve and won the next two games to beat USC's 44th-ranked Adriano Biasella and Johan Berg, 8-5, and clinch the point.
In singles, Dorsch managed to get past Biasella with ease, 6-1, 6-3, at the No. 1 spot, but the sets were much tighter on the five remaining courts. Simultaneously, Jamil Al-Agba and Drew Hoskins were attempting to push their matches to a third set, Berg came back to win his second set and was entering a third, Daniel Langre was fighting off Matija Zgaga's comeback efforts at No. 4 and Torres held the lead in his third set after blanking Reiner Neuhohr in the first. But the Trojans were unable to clinch a single match before the Bears quickly claimed their victories at Nos. 2 and 4.
NCAA Men's Tennis Semifinals - Tulsa, Okla.
#3 Baylor 4, #4 USC 0
(1) #20 Dorsch/Zgaga (BU) def. #44 Biasella/Berg (USC) - 8-5
(2) #18 Hoskins/Langre (USC) vs. #22 Becker/Marin (BU) - suspended
(3) Neurohr/Lovrak (BU) def. Parker Collins /Torrres (USC) - 8-2
Baylor wins the doubles point.
(1) #2 Benedikt Dorsch (BU) def. #19 Adriano Biasella (USC) - 6-1, 6-3
(2) #15 Benjamin Becker (BU) def. #86 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) - 6-4, 7-5
(3) #82 Johan Berg (USC) vs. #98 Matias Marin (BU) - 5-7, 7-6, 0-0 suspended
(4) #113 Matija Zgaga (BU) def. Daniel Langre (USC) - 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
(5) #105 Ruben Torres (USC) vs. Reiner Neurohr (BU) - 6-0, 6-7, 2-1 suspended
(6) Drew Hoskins (USC) vs. #119 Ivor Lovrak (BU) - 6-7, 5-5 suspended
Order of Finish: D3, D1*, S1, S2, S4*
- GO SC -