UCLA, LMU Battle To Scoreless Tie

Sept. 19, 2004

Carson, CA - Despite many good scoring opportunities for both teams, UCLA and Loyola Marymount were unable to find the back of the net and emerged 110 minutes later with a 0-0 tie in a non-conference game at The Home Depot Center.

The Bruins, who had 14 shots, had a multitude of chances in the game but just missed on several shots. Jordan Harvey, Patrick Ianni and Mike Enfield were particularly dangerous but unable to convert. LMU had 11 shots, with Bobby BUrling recording four of them, three on goal.

The Bruins' first major scoring opportunity came in the 28th minute when Harvey banged a shot that was stopped by LMU keeper Robert Flores. The following rebound shot by Chad Barrett was also stopped by Flores. Just a minute later Barrett had a shot from outside the box saved.

LMU also had its opportunities in the first half. BUrling had a header on the left side saved by UCLA keeper Eric Reed in the 34th minute. Burling also had a big opportunity in the 38th minute, beating two defenders and getting off a rocket that was headed for the goal. However, Reed made a spectacular one-handed save to keep the game scoreless.

The second half provided non-stop action with each team coming perilously close to scoring on the other. UCLA's Harvey had what looked to be a sure goal in the 52nd minute when his header beat every defender and the goalkeeper but hit the right post. Just two minutes later, the Lions had a golden opportunity of their own when they drew Reed out on a clearance. With Reed out of the picture and an empty net in front of him, LMU's Nick Blanco fired off a shot, but Bruin freshman defender Mike Zaher cleared it off the line, and Aaron Lopez kicked it out of danger. Reed was in the perfection position in the 63rd minute, making a kick save off a hard Burling shot.

The Lions also had a back line save in the 65th minute, with Junior Ybarra deflecting an Ianni shot off the line at the right post.

At 67:45, LMU's Matt Kovar had a shot beat his defenders but not Reed, who snared it for the save. And in a nice display of sportsmanship, after Kovar went down with a leg cramp after his shot, Reed helped him stretch out his leg while the ball was in play on the opposite side of the field.

At 69:22, Enfield had a shot in the box that went just inches wide, about seven minutes after he just missed with a shot wide left.

In overtime, each team had a good opportunity for the game-winner. With 1:14 to go in the first overtime period, Lopez had a shot in the front of box cleared off the line by Kovar. And with 5:50 left in the second overtime, Burling hit a shot that went in but was called back for being offsides.

In his second start of the season, Reed made six saves for the Bruins and did not allow a goal for the second straight game. Flores had three saves for LMU.

'As always, against LMU this was a tough game,' said UCLA head coach Jorge Salcedo. 'They fought hard and were organized, which made it tough for us. But with that said, we still had very good chances to win the game. We had too many inconsistent individual performances, which made it difficult for us to have a good rhythm and tempo to the game. I'm disappointed not to get the win, but hopefully this will be a positive learning experience for us.'

The Bruins' record moves to 4-1-1. LMU's record is now 1-2-2. UCLA will next face Cal State Fullerton on Sunday, Sept. 26 at Titan Stadium at 1 pm.

Now on Pac-12 Network
9:00 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network