UCLA, Cal State Fullerton Tie, 1-1

Sept. 26, 2004

Fullerton, CA - The 11th-ranked UCLA men's soccer team scored early but could not score again, settling for a 1-1 tie at Cal State Fullerton.

Fans had barely settled into their seats before the Bruins put a score on the frame. Just 48 seconds into the match, Mike Enfield scored his fourth goal of the year, following through on a Kamani Hill shot that rebounded off Fullerton keeper Sam Reynolds.

Fullerton went on the attack to try to equalize. At 10:10, Steve Moreno tried to lob a shot over UCLA goalkeeper Eric Reed, but Bruin defender Brandon Owens was there to clear the ball off the line. Reed made two outstanding saves at 18:09, leaping up high to save a Andrew Sam shot, and at 21:49, diving to his right to stop a Brent Barnes blast.

Reed, however, could not stop Moreno's volley from 20 yards out at 28:33. Moreno's shot from a Barnes pass went in past a diving Reed into the top left corner to tie the score at 1-1.

The Bruins had several good opportunities to reclaim the lead in the first half. At 31:35, forward Chad Barrett missed just wide right on a 1v1, and with 17 seconds to play in the half, an Evan Corey shot hit the right post.

Each team survived a flurry of activity starting in the 64th minute when Bruin midfielder Ramon Manak misfired wide right after a corner kick. Two minutes later, the Bruins had two scoring chances in the box thwarted by the Fullerton defense, and the Titans took the ball back and found their own scoring opportunity when Moreno went 1v1 with Reed in the box. Moreno's shot was stopped by the UCLA keeper, and the rebound was cleared out by Jordan Harvey.

At 69:34, the Titans' Igancio Cid fired off a shot that went just wide right, and then two minutes later, Feilhaber blasted a rocket that Reynolds leaped high to tip over the crossbar. Reynolds made a save on an Enfield shot in the box with 13:20 to play, not being fooled by fancy footwork from the Bruin midfielder prior to the shot. Enfield missed high on a shot in the box with 9:04 to play

With 7:37 to play, Enfield was fouled in the penalty box by a Fullerton defender, and Barrett took the ensuing penalty kick but was stopped by Reynolds diving to his right.

UCLA had one last chance to score in regulation. With 1:45 to play, a Ryan Valdez shot from the right side after an Enfield corner kick was headed towards the goal but cleared out by Fullerton defender Anthony Dedeaux.

With less than a minute to play in the first overtime period, Benny Feilhaber hit a shot that was stopped by Reynolds, and Ahmed Khalil went wide on the rebound.

The Bruins' record moves to 4-1-2. Fullerton's record is now 0-5-2. UCLA will next face Oregon State on Friday, Oct. 1 at 8 pm.

Now on Pac-12 Network
10:00 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder