Washington State And Loyola Marymount Tie 1-1

Oct. 1, 2004

PULLMAN, Wash. - The Washington State soccer team (5-2-2) tied Loyola Marymount (6-3-2) 1-1 in double-overtime at Lower Soccer Field Friday. WSU's Haley Thompson-Miller scored the tying goal at the 72: 34 mark for her third goal of the season.

Loyola Marymount took the 1-0 lead 28 minutes into the first half, taking advantage of a fumbled Cougar clearance. Lion Jessica Johns gathered the WSU clearance inside the Cougars' penalty box and passed it to Lori Sims who scored from the left-hand corner of the eight-yard box.

The Cougars tied the match 1-1 at the 72:34 mark when Miller hit a first-time shot from 15-yards outside of the LMU goal that skimmed the left-post as it went in. The goal followed a offensive thrust started by Christie Spear who took a close-range shot that the Lions were not able to clear from inside their 18-yard box. The ball bounced off of several players until WSU's Brooke Bemis headed it down to Thompson-Miller for the assist.

It looked like WSU had a goal nine minutes into the first half when Cailan McCutchan took a shot into the lower-left corner of the LMU goal from 23-yards out, but the goal was called back due to an offside call on the play.

Loyola Marymount created several scoring opportunities in the first period including when Kelly Lewandowski hit a hard shot on the ground from inside the WSU 18-yard box, forcing WSU's goalkeeper Katie Hultin to make one of five saves she recorded in the half.

LMU entered halftime with a 1-0 lead and a 9-2 shot advantage.

Both teams started the second half with high energy, but neither team would establish a rhythm due to the strong defensive play of both sides.

The Cougars' used Thompson-Miller's goal to build offensive momentum, recording all five of their second half shots in the final 17 minutes of the match.

At the end of regulation LMU led WSU 17-7 in shots and 3-2 in corner kicks. Hultin recorded eight saves after 90 minutes and LMU goalkeeper Joslyn Slovek made one.

WSU almost saw victory four minutes into the first overtime period when Bemis blocked a clear by Slovek 12-yards outside of the LMU goal and took a shot at the open net only to have Lion defender Kylie Beren clear the ball off of the line to maintain the 1-1 tie. WSU recorded five overtime shots, three in the first period.

Both teams continued to pound away, but at the end of 110 minutes of play ended in the 1-1 tie.

The Cougars will take on No. 6 Portland at home Sunday, at noon. Washington State was the host of the Portland-BYU game that ended in a 2-0 UP (9-2-0) victory at Lower Soccer Field Friday.

Now on Pac-12 Network
3:00 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder