No. 14 Husky Men Draw No. 7 Stanford to Remain Atop Pac-10

Oct. 10, 2004


SEATTLE - Washington's No. 14-ranked men's soccer team remained unbeaten in Pac-10 play Sunday, coming from behind for a 2-2 double-overtime draw with seventh-ranked Stanford at Husky Soccer Stadium. Freshman Ely Allen's equalizer with just 12 minutes remaining in regulation kept the Huskies atop the Pac-10 standings with a 2-0-1 record in conference play, 9-3-2 overall. Stanford, meanwhile, moved to 6-1-4, and is 1-0-2 in the Pac-10 conference.

Stanford scored twice in a span of three minutes in the second half to turn the Huskies' 1-0 halftime lead into a 2-1 deficit, but Washington continued to push forward, peppering the Cardinal goal for the next several minutes. The Huskies' relentless pressure finally paid off at 78:11. Allen slashed through the right side of Stanford midfield and worked a nice give-and-go with freshman Kevin Forrest at the top of the box, before breaking free at the right post and smashing a shot past goalkeeper Robby Fulton and into the left side of the net.

Neither team managed to mount a significant attack in either sudden-victory overtime period, with the Cardinal outshooting the Huskies 3-2 after regulation.

'Friday night's performance might have taken a bit out of us,' said head coach Dean Wurzberger, referencing the Huskies' 3-0 win over third-ranked Cal two days ago. 'I'm proud of how we battled back. This keeps us in contention for a Pac-10 title.'

Stanford had all the possession early, and nearly took the lead three minutes in when midfielder Seyi Abolaji's long-range cracker deflected out off the crossbar. Washington weathered the early storm, however, finally going ahead on an 18-yard smash off the crossbar by senior All-American C.J. Klaas, his second of the weekend and fourth of the 2004 season. The crossbar was friendly to Washington twice more in the first half, as two Stanford shots -- including one by Matt Janus in the final second of the period -- rattled off the iron and out, helping the Huskies maintain their 1-0 edge into the intermission.

After so many narrow escapes, however, it seemed only a matter of time before the Cardinal found the goal. Finally, at 61:11, Stanford's Todd Leber scored from eight yards out over a prone Chris Eylander, who had dove to save a shot by Stanford's Darren Fernandez just seconds earlier. Not three minutes later, Cooper McKee put the Cardinal ahead, capping a long run into the box with a 12-yard shot from right-to-left.

Ultimately, though, it was Allen's late goal which would earn the draw for Washington, which improved to 4-1-1 against ranked opponents this season. The Huskies will take a four-game unbeaten streak to the Husky Soccer Stadium field on Sunday, hosting Oregon State at 2:30 p.m.

NCAA Men's Soccer
#14 Washington 2, #7 Stanford 2 (2OT)
Husky Soccer Stadium o Seattle, Wash.

Scoring--1, UW, C.J. Klaas, 24:23. 2, STAN, Todd Leber (Assist: Darren Fernandez), 61:11. 3, STAN, Cooper McKee, 63:48. 4. Ely Allen (Assist: Kevin Forrest, 78:11.
Shots - UW 19, STAN 15
Saves - UW 3 (Chris Eylander), STAN 5 (Robby Fulton)
Corner Kicks - UW 6, STAN 3
Fouls - UW 22, STAN 13
Offsides - UW 1, STAN 1
Attendance - 808

Now on Pac-12 Network
2:00 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network