Cardinal Competes at Wilson/ITA Regional Championships
Oct. 23, 2004
Berkeley Calif. -Complete Results & Updated Draws
Four Stanford tennis players advanced through the first two rounds of the Wilson/ITA Reginal Championships in Berkeley on Friday. Two doubles tandems also advanced and the top-seeded doubles team of KC Corkery and Sam Warburg begins play on Saturday.
In main draw action, freshman Phil Kao earned a pair of victories defeating Casy McMakin of UC Davis 6-1, 6-2 and Pacific's Niclas Otte 7-6 (5), 6-3. Sophomore James Wan had a bye in the first round and handed Gonzaga's Dru Ernst a 7-6 (5), 6-2 defeat in the second round. Senior Phil Sheng also registered a second round win, topping Sacramento State's Matt Jones 6-3, 6-1 following a first round bye. Junior KC Corkery also had a first round bye and advanced to the Round of 16 with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Bastian Bartels of UC Davis.
In doubles action, the duo of Martinez and Kao advanced in first round action, defeating Alex Strom and Colby Jager of Portland, 8-1. Sophomore Eric McKean teamed up with Wong to register a first round victory over Davey Jones and Travis Crawford of Cal Poly, 8-4. The top seeded tandem of KC Corkery and Sam Warburg begin doubles play on Saturday along with the Cardinal duo of Phil Sheng and James Wan.
Competition will begin at 8 a.m. on Saturday, while Sunday's play will commence at 9 a.m.
Wilson/ITA Regional Championships
Men's Main Singles (First Round)
1. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Casey McMakin (UC Davis), 6-1, 6-2
2. Matt Baca (Cal Poly) def. Jon Wong (Stanford), 6-4, 6-2
3. Daniel Sebescen (Cal) def. Nico Martinez (Stanford), 6-0, 6-0
Men's Main Singles (Second Round)
1. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Niclas Otte (Pacific), 7-6 (5), 6-3
2. James Wan (Stanford) def. Dru Ernst (Gonzaga), 7-6 (5), 6-2
3. KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Bastian Bartels (UC Davis), 6-2, 6-0
4. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Matt Jones (Sacramento State), 6-3, 6-1
Men's Main Doubles (First Round)
1. Martinez/Kao (Stanford) def. Strom/Jager (Portland), 8-1
2. McKean/Wong (Stanford) def. Jones/Crawford (Cal Poly), 8-4