Stanford Continues at Wilson/ITA Regional Championships
Oct. 24, 2004
Berkeley Calif. -Rain slowed much of the action at the Wilson/ITA Regional Championships in Berkeley on Saturday, and the tournament was moved to an indoor facility to continue play. Phil Sheng and KC Corkery advanced with third-round wins in singles action, while three Stanford doubles teams also advanced with wins on Saturday evening.
In third round play, Corkery moved onto the Round of 16 with a hard-fought 7-6, 6-1 win over Vladimir Zdravkovic of Pacific. Also advancing was senior Phil Sheng, who handed Cal's Tyler Browne a 6-2, 6-2 defeat. Sophomore James Wan fell to Washington's Chris Floyd, 7-6, 6-2 and freshman Phil Kao was defeated by San Francisco's Pablo Pires de Almeida, 6-3, 6-3.
In second round doubles action, the top-seeded tandem of Corkery and senior Sam Warburg moved onto the third round with an 8-5 win over Chris Liao and Eric Pickard of Oregon. Sophomore Eric McKean and junior Jon Wong teamed up to defeat Fresno State's Greg Shearer and Sergui Modoc, 8-2, while Sheng and Wan handed Oregon's Chad Wilson and Vladimir Pino an 8-5 defeat.
The tournament is set to resume with third round doubles play at 9:00 am on Sunday in Berkeley.
Wilson/ITA Regional Championships
Men's Main Singles (Third Round)
1. KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Vladimir Zdravkovic (Pacific), 7-6, 6-1
2. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Tyler Browne (Cal), 6-2, 6-2
3. Pablo Pires de Almeida (San Francisco) def. Phil Kao (Stanford), 6-3, 6-3
4. Chris Floyd (Washington) def. James Wan (Stanford), 7-6, 6-2
Men's Main Doubles (Second Round)
1. Corkery/Warburg (Stanford) def. Pickard/Liao (Oregon), 8-5
2. McKean/Wong (Stanford) def. Modoc/Shearer (Fresno State), 8-2
3. Sheng/Wan (Stanford) def. Wilson/Pino (Oregon), 8-5