Bears Fall to St. Mary's, 61-52

Nov. 13, 2004

Box Score | Quotes

AP Sports Writer

BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) - E.J. Rowland had 17 points and 12 rebounds, andSaint Mary's defeated cold-shooting California 61-52 on Friday night in thesecond round of the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic.

The Gaels advanced to the semifinals next Thursday at Madison Square Gardenagainst the winner of the Memphis region. Their opponent will be either GeorgeMason or No. 24 Memphis, who play Saturday night.

Jonathan Sanders had 17 points and eight rebounds and Brett Collins added 15points for the Gaels (2-0), who won ugly in their opener Thursday night againstBelmont.

On Friday, they came out in a scrappy man-to-man defense to fluster andouthustle the sloppy Bears. Saint Mary's converted 22 of 26 free throws -10-of-12 by Rowland - shot 41 percent and held a 38-32 rebounding edge.

Marquise Kately led Cal (1-1) with 24 points and seven rebounds.

After Richard Midgley's baseline jumper pulled Cal within 35-32 with 13:18left, the Bears missed five straight opportunities to close the gap despiteholding Saint Mary's scoreless for nearly 6 minutes.

Kately then got Cal as close as 42-38 with 6:11 to go, but the Bears againmissed key shots in the clutch.

The Bears beat UC Riverside 78-61 on Thursday, getting at least eight pointsfrom seven players. The offense wasn't nearly as balanced Friday, when onlyfour players scored in the first half. Midgley added 13 points and Ayinde Ubakahad 10.

Both teams were missing their star players.

Cal's Leon Powe, the reigning Pac-10 Freshman of the Year, is expected tomiss the season as he recovers from reconstructive knee surgery.

Paul Marigney, the West Coast Conference's leading scoring last season, isacademically ineligible and will miss at least the first seven games. He couldbe back Dec. 11 against Hawaii, but his return might not be until the start ofconference play.

The Bears had five turnovers in the first 10 minutes and started the game4-for-20 from the field. Cal missed Powe's inside presence as Saint Mary'saggressively pounded the boards and held the Bears without a field goal fornearly 10 minutes to take a 29-20 halftime lead.