Tennis Beats Cal Poly, 6-1, In First Match-Up Of 2005
Jan. 19, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The seventh-ranked USC women's tennis team defeated No. 56 Cal Poly, 6-1, on Wednesday at Marks Tennis Stadium in the Women of Troy's 2005 season opener. Cal Poly, which had already faced two opponents this week, drops to 1-2.
USC (1-0) began the match by capturing the doubles point with wins at all three positions. Freshman Nicole Leimbach and junior Carine Vermeulen defeated Cal Poly's 37th-ranked Samantha Waller and Nicole Shabaz, 9-7, at center court, while Noelle Lee and Chelsy Thompson fell to the Trojans' Lindsey Nelson and Anca Anastasiu in a 9-7 match at the No. 2 spot. Judy DeVera and Dianne Matias completed the sweep with an 8-1 win over Carol Erickson and Falon Lopez at court three.
In singles, USC took five of the six matches with two freshmen leading the charge. Leimbach and Nelson each claimed two-set victories at courts one and two. Anastasiu secured the Trojan victory by beating Cal Poly's Shabaz, 6-1, 6-1, at court No. 3.
The Mustangs did not go quietly as Erickson defeated USC's Vermeulen, 6-4, 6-3, at court No. 5. Matias and DeVera wrapped up the day for the Women of Troy by winning at the No. 4 and 6 positions, respectively.
Up next, the Trojans take on Long Beach State on Friday, Jan. 21, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Tennis Stadium.
#7 USC 6, #56 Cal Poly 1
(1) Leimbach/Vermeulen (USC) def. #37 Waller/Shabaz (Cal Poly) - 9-7
(2) Nelson/Anastasiu (USC) def. Lee/Thompson (Cal Poly) - 9-7
(3) DeVera/Matias (USC) def. Erickson/Lopez (Cal Poly) - 8-1
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #6 Nicole Leimbach (USC) def. Samantha Waller (Cal Poly) - 6-1, 6-2
(2) #29 Lindsey Nelson (USC) def. Chelsy Thompson (Cal Poly) - 6-1, 6-2
(3) #62 Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Nicole Shabaz (Cal Poly) - 6-1, 6-1
(4) #70 Dianne Matias (USC) def. Noelle Lee (Cal Poly) - 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
(5) Carol Erickson (Cal Poly) def. #78 Carine Vermeulen (USC) - 6-4, 6-3
(6) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Falon Lopez (Cal Poly) - 6-2, 6-0