Men's Tennis Drops Pac-10 Match to No. 7 Stanford, 5-2
Feb. 12, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - The Arizona State University men's tennis team took on No. 7 Stanford at the Taube Tennis Center Saturday afternoon. The Sun Devils fell to the Cardinal, 5-2. Nick Hegarty and Mike Beatty earned the points for ASU.
Junior Ryan McBride and Hegarty registered a win at the No. 3 doubles spot for the Sun Devils, defeating Jon Wong and James Wan of Stanford, 9-8. The Cardinal claimed the doubles point over the Sun Devils with victories at the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles positions. At the No.1 position the duo of Andy Colombo and Jonathan Kinsella fell to the No. 2 ranked tandem of Sam Warburg and KC Corkery, 8-1. The doubles team of Beatty and Clinton Letcher played in the No.2 position for the Sun Devils falling just short, as the Cardinal team of Phil Sheng and Eric McKean took the victory, 8-6
In singles action, Stanford took four of the six matches to earn the 5-2 victory. ASU won points at the No. 5 and the No. 6 positions. At the No. 5 position, Hegarty took on Phil Kao of Stanford, winning in the point in three sets, 6-3, 4-6, 1-0. Beatty overcame McKean, 7-6,4-6, 6-1, at the No.6 position to earn the victory for the Sun Devils.
Stanford's Warburg took on Colombo in the No.1 singles position, as Colombo fell, 6-3, 6-4, while Christopher Biro competed in the No. 2 singles spot, dropping the decision to Corkery, 6-0, 6-4. At the No. 3 position, Kinsella fell to Sheng, 7-5, 7-5, while Wan closed out the Cardinal victory with a 7-5, 7-5, 1-0 win over ASU's Letcher at the No. 4 singles spot.
The Sun Devils travel to Berkeley, Calif. Tomorrow , concluding the dual match against California that was rained out during singles play on Friday. California won the doubles point against the Sun Devils. The match was postponed with the Sun Devils trailing the Golden Bears, 2-1.
Arizona State - 2
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #2 Corkery/Warburg (Stanford) def. Colombo/Kinsella (Arizona State) - 8-1
2. Sheng/McKean (Stanford) def. Letcher/Beatty (Arizona State) - 8-6
3. McBride/Hegarty (Arizona State) def. Wan/Wong (Stanford) - 9-8
1. #4 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Andy Colombo (Arizona State) - 6-3, 6-2
2. #15 KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Christopher Biro (Arizona State) - 6-0, 6-4
3. Phil Sheng (Stanford) def. Jonathan Kinsella (Arizona State) - 7-5, 7-5
4. James Wan (Stanford) def. Clint Letcher (Arizona State) - 7-5, 5-7, 1-0
5. Nick Hegarty (Arizona State) def. Phil Kao (Stanford) - 6-3, 4-6, 1-0
6. Mike Beatty (Arizona State) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 7-6, 4-6, 6-1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 9/19 | 3:00pm PTLive