USC Men's Tennis Falls To 31st-Ranked Harvard, 4-2
Feb. 18, 2005
CHICAGO - No. 31 Harvard (2-2) captured a three-set victory at No. 1 singles to clinch a 4-2 upset win over the 12th-ranked USC men's tennis team (3-4) on Friday, Feb. 18, in consolation play at the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships in Chicago, Ill.
USC now goes on to play Stanford, who lost to Oklahoma State, on Saturday at 9 a.m. CST in consolation play.
The Crimson captured the first point of the morning by clinching two of the three doubles positions. Court three featured the most competitive match-up as Troy's Brian Wright and Adam Loucks were knotted at 7-7 against Harvard's Brandon Chiu and Jordan Bohnen before that match was suspended after the Crimson had secured the doubles point on courts one and two.
In singles, Harvard captured the first two wins at courts two and three before USC rallied with consecutive victories. Troy's Wright got the Trojans on the board against Shantanu Dhaka, 6-3, 6-4, on court No. 4 and Kaes Van't Hof helped the Trojans cut the deficit to one with a win against Jason Beren, 6-3, 7-5 on court No. 5. The Crimson's Martin Wetzel clinched the match for Harvard by defeating the Trojans' Jamir Al-Agba, 4-6, 6-0, 6-2, at center court.
#31 Harvard 4, #12 USC 2
(1) #31 Chu/Kumar (Har) def. Hoskins/Van't Hof (USC) - 8-6
(2) #5 Beren/Wetzel (Har) def. Berg/Al-Agba (USC) - 8-5
(3) Wright/Loucks (USC) vs. Chiu/Bohnen (Har) - 7-7, suspended
Harvard wins doubles point.
(1) #20 Martin Wetzel (Har) def. #86 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) - 4-6, 6-0, 6-2*
(2) #24 Jonathan Chu (Har) def. #116 Drew Hoskins (USC) - 6-3, 6-2
(3) Ashwin Kumar (Har) def. #97 Johan Berg (USC) - 7-5, 6-3
(4) Brian Wright (USC) def. Shantanu Dhaka (Har) - 6-3, 6-4
(5) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Jason Beren (Har) - 6-3, 7-5
(6) Scott Denenberg (Har) vs. Adam Loucks (USC) - 7-5, 6-6, suspended
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 5, 4, 1
* Match-clinching victory.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 12:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 2:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 4:00pm PTLive