Men's Tennis Falls to No. 18 Tulane, 4-1
March 23, 2005
TEMPE, Ariz. - The Arizona State University men's tennis team (6-7) fell to 18th-ranked Tulane, 4-1, Wednesday under windy conditions at the Whiteman Tennis Center. Before the dual started the two head coaches decided to end the dual early on both doubles and singles when the match had been determined.
In doubles action, Tulane won on courts #2 and #3 to earn the first point of the dual. The team of David Goulet and Jonah Kane-West came back from an early 0-3 deficit to win the match on court #3, 8-6, over ASU's Nick Hegarty and Ryan McBride. The Wave won the point on the #2 court when Ted Angelinos and Jacobo Hernandez defeated Clint Letcher and Mike Beatty, 8-6. The #1 court was deadlocked a seven apiece when the doubles ended.
In singles play, Letcher gained the lone point for the Sun Devils as he continued his stellar play on court #1, winning easily in straight sets over Koch, 6-1, 6-2. Tulane then grabbed straight sets victories on courts 2, 3 and 6 to win the dual. Courts 4 and 5 were still in play when the dual ended.
Up next, the duals do not get any easier as the Devils travel to Los Angeles to face ninth-ranked USC on Friday at 1:30 p.m.
1. Biro/Kinsella (ASU) vs. (38) Koch/Sottocorno (TU) - 7-7 (DNF)
2. Angelinos/Hernandez (TU) def. Beatty/Letcher (ASU) - 8-6
3. Goulet/Kane-West (TU) def. Hegarty/McBride (ASU) - 8-6
Order of finish: 3, 2
1. Clint Letcher (ASU) def. Dmitriy Koch (TU) - 6-1, 6-2
2. David Goulet (TU) def. (96) Christopher Biro (ASU) - 6-1, 6-3
3. Jacobo Hernandez (TU) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) - 7-6 (4), 6-1
4. Ryan McBride (ASU) tied Ted Angelinos (TU) - 6-2, 2-6 (DNF)
5. Nick Hegarty (ASU) leading Alberto Sottocorno (TU) - 7-6, 1-2 (DNF)
6. Jonah Kane-West (TU) def. Mike Beatty (ASU) - 7-6 (4), 6-0
Order of finish: 1, 2, 6, 3
Tue 12/10 | 6:00pm PTLive