Hoskins Prevails To Claim 4-3 Victory For USC
March 29, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The 12th-ranked USC men's tennis team avenged an early season 4-3 loss to No. 20 Texas A&M by returning the favor with a 4-3 victory of their own on Tuesday, March 29, at Marks Stadium. The match came down to court two where Drew Hoskins prevailed in a hard-fought three-set match over Ante Matijevic, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5.
With the win, USC improves to 10-8 overall, while Texas A&M falls to 7-5.
The match started off with USC taking two of the three doubles matches to claim the doubles point. USC's Jamil Al-Agba and Johan Berg teamed up to beat Zack Malmgren and Bryan Wooten, 8-6, at court No. 2. Jarryd Cooper and Kaes Van't Hof secured the doubles point over Jerry Makowski and Yevgeny Supeko with a 9-8 victory at court three.
In singles, the Trojans and the Aggies took the match all the way to the end with all but one match going three sets. Berg got Troy started with a quick 6-0, 6-3 victory over Wooten at court No. 3. Texas A&M's Supeko took the next match at court five over Adam Loucks, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3. 28th-ranked Al-Agba responded with a 6-7, 6-4, 6-0 upset victory over 14th-ranked Makowski at center court. Brett Joelson then cut USC's lead to one with a 7-6, 0-6, 7-6 victory over Van't Hof at coirt No. 4. The Aggies tied the match 3-3 after Mohamed Dakki defeated Whit Livingston, 5-7, 7-6, 6-4, at court No. 6. All eyes were then on court No. 2 as Hoskins and Matijevic exchanged volleys until Hoskins prevailed in the end to clinch the match for the Trojans.
'They don't build roller-coasters like the one we're on,' said Head coach Peter Smith, ' It was down hill a bit there for a moment but hats off to everyone today. That was a great collegiate match.'
The Trojans next take the court against Oregon on Friday, April 1, at 1:30 p.m. and Washington on Saturday, April 2, at 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium. These will be the final regular season games at home for the Trojans.
#12 USC 4, #20 Texas A&M 3
(1) #31 Joelson/Matijevic (TAMU) def. Hoskins/Loucks (USC)- 9-8
(2) #36 Al-Agba/Berg (USC) def. Malmgren/Wooten (TAMU) - 8-6
(3) Cooper/Van't Hof (USC) def. Makowski/Supeko (TAMU) - 9-8
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #28 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Jerry Makowski (TAMU) - 6-7, 6-4, 6-0
(2) #62 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Ante Matijevic (TAMU) - 6-4, 4-6, 7-5*
(3) Johan Berg (USC) def. #85 Bryan Wooten (TAMU) - 6-0, 6-3
(4) Brett Joelson (TAMU) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) - 7-6, 0-6, 7-6
(5) Yevgeny Supeko (TAMU) def. Adam Loucks (USC) - 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
(6) Mohamed Dakki (TAMU) def. Whit Livingston (USC) - 5-7, 7-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1, 4, 6, 2*
* Match-clinching victories.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive