USC Blanks Oregon, 7-0
April 1, 2005
LOS ANGELES - The 12th-ranked USC men's tennis team put together its first shutout of the season against No. 75 Oregon on Friday, April 1, at Marks Stadium. Sophomore Jamil Al-Agba, ranked 28th nationally, won his fourth consecutive match, upsetting 22nd -ranked Sven Swinnen, 6-4, 6-2, at center court.
With the win, USC improves to 11-8 overall and 3-0 in Pac-10 play, while Oregon falls to 7-12, 0-3.
The match started off with the Trojans taking two of the three doubles matches to claim the doubles point. USC's Al-Agba and Johan Berg teamed up to beat Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost, 8-4, at center court to start things off. Jarryd Cooper and Kaes Van't Hof secured the doubles point with their 8-6 victory on court three over Chris Liao and Vladimir Pino.
Troy followed doubles play by playing its best singles of the season. The Trojans swept the six singles positions for the first time this season. Berg got things started with a quick 6-2, 6-1 victory at court No. 3 over the Ducks' Kost. Whit Livingston followed with his first victory of the season, 6-1, 6-2 at court six against Eric Pickard. After Al-Agba's clinching victory at center court, Drew Hoskins maintained the pace for USC with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Bieri at court No. 2. Van't Hof then pulled off the three-set victory for Troy on court four over Arron Spencer, 6-2, 5-7, 6-3. Adam Loucks closed the match with a tough 7-5, 6-7, 10-4 victory on court No. 5 over Pino.
The Trojans next take the court against No. 13 Washington on Saturday, April 2, at 1:30 p.m. The match will be the last one at Marks Stadium for the regular season.
#12 USC 7, #75 Oregon 0
(1) #36 Al-Agba/Berg (USC) def. Bieri/Kost (Ore)- 8-4
(2) Spencer/Swinnen (Ore) def. Hoskins/Loucks (USC) - 8-6
(3) Cooper/Van't Hof (USC) def. Liao/Pino (Ore) - 8-6
USC wins doubles point.
(1) #28 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. #22 Sven Swinnen (Ore) - 6-4, 6-2*
(2) #62 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Thomas Bieri (Ore) - 6-3, 6-4
(3) Johan Berg (USC) def. Manuel Kost (Ore) - 6-2, 6-1
(4) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Arron Spencer (Ore) - 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
(5) Adam Loucks (USC) def. Vladimir Pino (Ore) - 7-5, 6-7, 10-4
(6) Whit Livingston (USC) def. Eric Pickard (Ore) - 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 1*, 2, 4, 5
* Match-clinching victories.