No. 1 Stanford Takes 6-1 Victory Over Arizona
April 2, 2005
Stanford, Calif. - Top-ranked Stanford improved to 17-0 on the year with a 6-1 victory over No. 49 Arizona this afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center in the final match of the 2005 Spring Smash presented by Zoom Marketing. The Cardinal also honored its two seniors, walk-on Kara Guzman and three-time All-American Erin Burdette, during the break between doubles and singles action.
In singles, the Cardinal won five points, with two-set wins on courts four, five and six as Theresa Logar, Deason and Yelsey gave up a combined three games. At the second spot, Alice Barnes secured a 6-3, 6-1 victory and on court one, Liu posted a 7-5, 6-1 victory to wrap up competition.
Stanford will be on the road next weekend, as the Cardinal faces off against USC and UCLA. The Cardinal will play its final regular season home match on April 14, when Cal Poly heads to The Farm to make up a match that was postponed due to weather earlier this season.
#1 Stanford 6, No. 49 Arizona 1
1. No. 39 Dianne Hollands/Maja Mlakar (A) def. No. 12 Alice Barnes/Erin Burdette (S), 8-5
2. No. 38 Amber Liu/Anne Yelsey (S) def. Kasia Jakowlew/Jessie Rochefort (A), 8-1
3. Whitney Deason/Lejla Hodzic (S) def. Kelly Perry/Camelia Todorova (A), 9-7
Stanford wins doubles point
1. No. 14 Amber Liu (S) def. No, 37 Dianne Hollands (A), 7-5, 6-1
2. No. 26 Alice Barnes (S) def. Maja Mlakar (A), 6-3, 6-1
3. Kelly Perry (A) def. No. 16 Erin Burdette (S), 6-2, 6-4
4. No. 38 Theresa Logar (S) def. Camelia Todorova (A), 6-0, 6-1
5. No. 45 Whitney Deason (S) def. Kasia Jakowlew (A), 6-1, 6-0
6. No. 84 Anne Yelsey (S) def. Jessie Rochefort (A), 6-0, 6-1