Men's Tennis Tops Oregon, 5-2, In Pac-10 Action
April 8, 2005
EUGENE, Ore. - The Arizona State University men's tennis team took on Oregon Friday afternoon at the Student Tennis Center, defeating the Ducks, 5-2, in a Pac-10 dual. With the win the Sun Devils improve to 7-11 and 1-4 in the Pac-10 while the Ducks fall to 7-14 and 0-5 in conference play.
The Sun Devils took the early lead over the Ducks, claiming the two of three doubles matches to earn the first point of the afternoon. ASU's tandem of Andy Colombo and Mike Beatty came out sharp as they defeated the Ducks team of Markus Shiller and Vlad Pino, 8-1, on Court No. 1. The Sun Devil team of Nick Hegarty and Ryan McBride upended the Ducks duo of Thomas Bjeri and Manuel Kost, 8-5, on Court No. 3 to secure the point for ASU. The Ducks claimed action on Court No.2 as the ASU tandem of Clinton Letcher and Jonathan Kinsella fell to Oregon's Sven Swinnen and Arron Spencer, 8-5.
In singles action, the Sun Devils claimed four of the six matches to take the dual over Oregon. Playing in the No. 2 singles position, ASU's Letcher downed Oregon's Schiller in straight sets, 7-6, 6-1. Kinsella, playing in the No. 3 singles spot, upended the Ducks Bjeri in a straight set match, 6-4, 7-5. The No. 5 singles match between ASU's McBride and Oregon's Spencer went in straight sets to McBride, 6-4, 6-4. Hegarty, playing at the No. 6 singles position for the Sun Devils, topped the Ducks Pino, 7-5, 6-1.
At No. 1 singles, the Sun Devils Colombo was topped by the Ducks Swinnen, who is currently ranked No. 14, in straight sets, 6-3, 7-6. Rounding out competition for the afternoon, the No. 4 singles match saw ASU's Christopher Biro downed by Oregon's Kost, 6-4, 6-2.
The men's tennis team continues their Northwest road trip, traveling to Washington Sunday for a dual against the Huskies. The dual is slated to begin at 1:00 p.m.
Arizona State 5, Oregon 2
Student Tennis Center
1. Colombo/Beatty (ASU) def. Schiller/Pino (UO) 8-1
2. Swinnen/Spencer(UO) def. Letcher/Kinsella (ASU) 8-5
3. Hegarty/McBride (ASU) def. Bieri/Kost (UO) 8-5
1. (14) Sven Swinnen (UO) def. Andy Colombo (ASU) 6-3, 7-6
2. (122) Clinton Letcher (ASU) def. Markus Schiller (UO) 7-6, 6-1
3. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) def. Thomas Bieri (UO) 6-4, 7-5
4. Manuel Kost (UO) def. Christopher Biro (ASU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Arron Spencer (UO) 6-4, 6-4
6. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Vlad Pino (UO) 7-5, 6-1