Stanford Men's Tennis Opens Play At The Pac-10 Championship
April 21, 2005
Ojai, Calif. - Senior Sam Warburg and junior James Wan both advanced to the quarterfinals of the main singles draw at the Pac-10 Championship in Ojai on Thursday. Wan and Warburg, the defending Pac-10 singles champion, each posted two wins to advance to Friday's quarterfinal round. Freshman Phil Kao also recorded two wins on Thursday, advancing to the quarterfinals of the Pac-10 Invitational draw.
Four Cardinal singles players competed in the main draw on Thursday, with Warburg and Wan advancing through the first two rounds. Warburg breezed past USC's Adam Loucks in first round action 6-0, 6-2, before topping Cal's Daniel Sebescen in Round of 16 play 6-2, 6-2. Wan advanced past his first round match against Arizona's Roger Matalonga after the Wildcat was forced to retire during the second set due to injury. Wan then upset USC's No. 64 ranked Drew Hoskins in the Round of 16, 6-4, 6-4. Senior Phil Sheng stretched No. 12 ranked Jamil Al-Agba of USC to three sets before falling in first round action 6-1, 2-6, 6-3. Junior KC Corkery was forced to withdraw from his Round of 32 match against USC's Kaes Van't Hof due to injury.
The Cardinal also had four competitors in Pac-10 Invitational play, and Kao posted a pair of impressive wins to advance to the quarterfinal round. The freshman knocked off Arizona's Tim Mullane in the first round 6-1, 6-0 before topping Oregon's Eric Pickard in the Round of 16, 6-4, 6-2. Junior Jon Wong fell in three sets to Washington's Andy Kuharszky 5-7, 7-5, 6-3, while Arizona's Claudio Christen defeated sophomore Eric McKean 6-4, 6-1. Sophomore David Ryan rounded out the Cardinal competitors at the Pac-10 Invitational, and fell to Cal's Tyler Browne in the first round 6-3, 6-1.
Warburg will meet No. 37 ranked Alex Slovic of Washington in Friday's quarterfinals, while Wan will take on Washington's No. 10 ranked Alex Vlaski in another quarterfinal match up. Kao will continue Pac-10 Invitational play with a quarterfinal match against UCLA's Mathieu Dehaine at 12:00 pm on Friday. Doubles play will also begin on Friday, and Stanford will be represented by two tandems in both the main draw and the Pac-10 Invitational draw.
Main Draw Singles
Round of 32
1. #2 Sam Warburg (Stanford) def. Adam Loucks (USC) - 6-0, 6-2
2. James Wan (Stanford) def. #48 Roger Matalonga (Arizona) - 2-6, 3-0, ret. (injury)
3. #12 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Phil Sheng (Stanford) - 6-1, 2-6, 6-3
4. #13 KC Corkery w/d (injury) vs. Kaes Van't Hof (USC)
Invitational Draw Singles
Round of 32
1. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Tim Mullane (Arizona) - 6-1, 6-0
2. Andy Kuharszky (Washington) def. Jon Wong (Stanford) - 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
3. Claudio Christen (Arizona) def. Eric McKean (Stanford) - 6-4, 6-1
4. Tyler Browne (Cal) def. David Ryan (Stanford) - 6-3, 6-1
Round of 16
1. Phil Kao (Stanford) def. Eric Pickard (Oregon) - 6-4, 6-2