USC Men's Tennis Beats SMU In NCAA First Round Play
May 13, 2005
The No. 21-ranked USC men's tennis team (12-12) defeated No. 44 SMU (15-12), 4-1, in a first round match of the 2005 NCAA Men's Division I Tennis Team Championships at the University of Washington's Bill Quillan Stadium on Friday (May 13).
USC next will face the winner of the afternoon match between No. 12 Washington and Oral Roberts in a second round match on Saturday (May 14) at 1 p.m. at Washington. That winner advances to the Round of 16 at Texas A&M May 21-24.
The Trojans took the doubles point behind a pair of 8-4 victories by the No. 35-ranked team of Jamil Al-Agba and Johan Berg over SMU's No. 46-ranked Paul McNaughton and Frederico Murgier on court 1 and the Jeff Kazarian/Kaes Van't Hof duo over Gwinyai Chingoka and David Kuczer on court 3. Once those courts had finished play, the match on the No. 2 court was suspended.
SMU tied the match at the start of singles play as Peter Oredsson beat Van't Hof, 6-3, 6-2, at the No. 4 position. But USC regained control, first with Adam Loucks' 6-3, 6-2 victory on court 6 over Kuczer, followed by #19 Al-Agba's 6-4, 6-1 win over McNaughton on court 1 and #55 Drew Hoskins' match-clinching 6-3, 6-3 victory over Chingoka at the second position. Play on courts 3 and 5 was then suspended.
#21 USC 4, #44 SMU 1
May 13, 2005 - University of Washington's Bill Quillan Stadium
(1) #35 Al-Agba/Berg (USC) def. #46 McNaughton/Murgier (SMU) 8-4
(2) #52 Hoslins/Loucks vs. Soderberg/Oredsson (SMU) 7-2 suspended
(3) Kazarian/Van't Hof (USC) def. Chingoka/Kuczer (SMU) 8-4
USC wins doubles point.
Doubles order of finish: 3, 1
(1) #19 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) def. Paul McNaughton (SMU) 6-4, 6-1
(2) #55 Drew Hoskins (USC) def. Gwinyai Chingoka (SMU) 6-3, 6-3*
(3) #93 Johan Berg (USC) vs. Frederico Murgier (SMU) 7-5, 2-1 suspended
(4) Peter Oredsson (SMU) def. Kaes Van't Hof (USC) 6-3, 6-2
(5) Brian Wright (USC) vs. Henrik Soderberg (SMU) 7-5, 2-1 suspended
(6) Adam Loucks (USC) def. David Kuczer (SMU) 6-3, 6-2
Singles order of finish: 4, 6, 1, 2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/24 | 3:00pm PTLive
Thu 10/24 | 5:00pm PTLive