Stanford Posts First Round NCAA Victory Over San Diego, 4-0
May 14, 2005
Malibu, Calif. - The No. 22 ranked Stanford men's tennis team cruised to a 4-0 victory over No. 39 San Diego in the first round of the NCAA Tennis Tournament at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center in Malibu on Saturday afternoon. The Cardinal advances to Sunday's second round match where they will meet No. 8 seeded Pepperdine, who defeated UC Irvine in first round action on Saturday.
The Cardinal edged San Diego in three hotly contested doubles matches to begin the afternoon. Pierrick Ysern and Oscar Plotnik got the Toreros off to an early lead with an 8-6 win over junior KC Corkery and sophomore James Wan at the No. 2 doubles spot, but senior Sam Warburg and sophomore Eric McKean evened the score with an 8-4 victory over Nic Beuque and Mirza Koristovic at the No. 1 position. The match between the Cardinal tandem of senior Phil Sheng and junior Jon Wong and San Diego's Robbie Blair and Thomas Liversage at the No. 3 spot came down to a tiebreaker, with the Stanford duo prevailing 9-8 (4).
The Cardinal rolled in singles play, with Corkery and Wan registering straight set victories before McKean clinched the Stanford win at the No. 6 singles position. Corkery topped Beuque at the No. 2 spot 6-0, 6-3 and Wan handed Koristovic a 6-4, 6-1 defeat at the No. 3 position. McKean wrapped up the dual match win with a 6-4, 6-2 defeat of Plotnik at the No. 6 singles spot. Warburg, Sheng, and freshman Phil Kao each led their respective matches, but the contests were abandoned after Stanford clinched the victory.
The Cardinal will play a second round NCAA Tournament contest against Pepperdine on Sunday, with the match slated to begin at 1:00 pm. The winner of Sunday's match up will travel to College Station, TX to begin the final four rounds of the NCAA Tournament.
NCAA Division I Men's Tennis
First Round * May 14, 2005
Malibu, Calif. * Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center
Stanford 4, San Diego 0
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Warburg/McKean (Stanford) def. Beuque/Koristovic (San Diego), 8-4
2. Ysern/Plotnik (San Diego) def. Corkery/Wan (Stanford), 8-6
3. Sheng/Wong (Stanford) def. Blair/Liversage (San Diego), 9-8 (4)
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Sam Warburg (Stanford) led Pierrick Ysern (San Diego), 6-4, 3-5, Did Not Finish
2. KC Corkery (Stanford) def. Nic Beuque (San Diego), 6-0, 6-3
3. James Wan (Stanford) def. Mirza Koristovic (San Diego), 6-4, 6-1
4. Phil Sheng (Stanford) led Robbie Blair (San Diego), 7-5, 2-5, Did Not Finish
5. Phil Kao (Stanford) led Thomas Liversage (San Diego), 7-5, 4-1, Did Not Finish
6. Eric McKean (Stanford) def. Oscar Plotnik (San Diego), 6-4, 6-2*
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 6
* Clinched Stanford victory
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive