USC Women's Tennis Sweeps Arizona State In NCAA Second Round
May 14, 2005
The seventh-ranked USC women's tennis team (18-3), behind a key victory at the No. 3 doubles position, defeated No. 30 Arizona State (11-8), 4-0, in a second round match of the 2005 NCAA Women's Division I Tennis Team Championships at USC's Marks Stadium on Saturday (May 14).
With the win, USC advances to the Round of 16 in Athens, Ga., May 19-22, where it will face No. 12 UCLA (17-5).
The Women of Troy gained momentum from capturing the hard-fought doubles point and used it to overwhelm the Sun Devils in the third through fifth spots in singles.
After the teams split the top two doubles courts-No. 27 Lauren Colalillo and Kady Pooler of ASU beat No. 45 Lindsey Nelson and Anca Anastasiu (8-2) on court 1 and Nicole Leimbach and Dianne Matias of USC beat Sabrina Capannolo and Jessica Leitch (8-0) on court 2, court 3 went to a tiebreaker. USC's Judy DeVera and Carine Vermeulen prevailed 7-2 in the tiebreaker over Joslynn Burkett and Rebecca Rankin for the 9-8 win.
Then, in singles, No. 53 Anastasiu beat Pooler on court 3, 6-3, 6-3, followed by No. 94 Matias' 6-1, 6-1 win over Leitch on court 4. Vermeulen clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Colalillo at the fifth spot. Play on the other courts was then suspended.
'This was a tough match for us,' said USC head coach Richard Gallien. 'The level of tennis in doubles was very high. Both teams fought so hard and we had to play our best to get that doubles point. In singles, we just had too much for them. Arizona State might have played its best match of the year, but our girls did a great job.'
Said Arizona State head coach Sheila McInerney: 'We played very well, especially in doubles. We really competed. If we had won the doubles point, you never know what might have happened.'
#7 USC 4, #30 Arizona State 0
May 14, 2005 - USC's Marks Stadium
(1) #27 Colalillo/Pooler (ASU) def. #45 Nelson/Anastasiu (USC) 8-2
(2) Leimbach/Matias (USC) def. Capannolo/Leitch (ASU) 8-0
(3) DeVera/Vermeulen (USC) def. Burkett/Rankin (ASU) 9-8 (7-2)
USC wins doubles point.
Doubles order of finish: 2, 1, 3
(1) #9 Nicole Leimbach (USC) vs. #46 Sabrina Capannolo (ASU) 7-5, 2-3 suspended
(2) #123 Joslynn Burkett (ASU) vs. #16 Lindsey Nelson (USC) 7-6 suspended
(3) #53 Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Kady Pooler (ASU) 6-3, 6-3
(4) #94 Dianne Matias (USC) def. Jessica Leitch (ASU) 6-1, 6-1
(5) Carine Vermeulen (USC) def. Lauren Colalillo (ASU) 6-1, 6-2*
(6) Rebecca Rankin (ASU) vs. Judy DeVera (USC) 6-3, 4-0 suspended
Singles order of finish: 3, 4, 5
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 7:00pm PTLive