Slovic, Two Doubles Teams Advance To Regional Semifinals
Oct. 23, 2005
SANTA CLARA, CALIF. - Husky junior Alex Slovic advanced to the semifinals in both singles and doubles, Sunday, leading the Washington men's tennis contingent at the Wilson/ITA Northwest Regional Championships hosted by Santa Clara University. Slovic and junior Daniel Chu, along with sophomores Klaus Jank and Andy Kuharszky make up the two doubles teams that earned spots in Monday's semifinals.
In the singles main draw quarterfinals, Slovic defeated Jakub Cech from Fresno State (6-4, 3-6, 6-1) to earn his spot in the semifinals. Second-seeded Slovic will face ninth-seed James Pade from Stanford in the semifinals at 11 a.m. Monday.
Slovic had a busy day, also winning two matches with Chu on the doubles courts. The UW pair, the tournament's top seed, defeated teams from Stanford and Fresno State to earn its berth into the semifinals. Chu and Slovic will face Maack and Sebescen from Cal at 9 a.m. Monday.Jank and Kuharszky also earned their spot in the semifinals by virtue of two more wins today. The pair defeated duos from UC Davis and Cal, and will face the Portland squad of Kennel and Redpath, also at 9 a.m., Monday.
The finals for both singles and doubles take place Tuesday, Oct. 25. The singles finalists and the doubles champion earn spots in the ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships, Nov. 3-6.
2005 Wilson/ITA Northwest Regional Championships
Sunday, Oct. 23; Santa Clara, Calif.
Singles - Quarterfinals
(2) Alex Slovic (UW) def. Jakub Cech (Fresno State), 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
Doubles - Round of 16
(1) Daniel Chu/Alex Slovic (UW) def. Rasmussen/Wan (Stanford), 9-8
(3) Klaus Jank/Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Chin/Garcia (UC Davis), 8-6
Doubles - Quarterfinals
(1) Daniel Chu/Alex Slovic (UW) def. Irie/Modoc (Fresno State), 8-3
(3) Klaus Jank/Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Browne/Nakahara (Cal), 8-6
MONDAY, OCT. 23
Singles - Semifinals - 11 a.m.
(2) Alex Slovic (UW) vs. (9) James Pade (Stanford)
Doubles - Semifinals - 9 a.m.
(1) Daniel Chu/Alex Slovic (UW) vs. Maack/Sebescen (Cal)
(3) Klaus Jank/Andy Kuharszky (UW) vs. Kennel/Redpath (Portland)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 1:00pm PTLive