No. 3 Cal Outraces No. 2 Stanford
Nov. 9, 2005
STANFORD, Calif. - Third-ranked California won 12 out of 20 races, including two relays, against second-ranked Stanford on Wednesday at the Stanford Triple Distance Meet at the Avery Aquatic Complex. Cal seniors Henrique Barbosa (in the breaststroke) and Miguel Molina (in the individual medley), junior Jernej Godec (in the butterfly) and sophomore Dominik Meichtry (in the sprint freestyles) won individual categories in the unconventional meet. Senior All-American Milorad Cavic made his season debut for the Golden Bears, swimming the 50-, 100- and 200-yard butterflies and manning the anchor-leg of the winning 400-yard medley relay.
In the Triple Distance Meet, neither team is declared the winner. Rather, a swimmer wins an individual event category - the sprint freestyle, the distance free, the butterfly, the backstroke, the individual medley or the breaststroke - by having the fastest combined time in three events, such as the 50 free, the 100 free and the 200 free, in that stroke. The teams also swim relays.
On Wednesday, Barbosa won the 50-yard breaststroke in a time of 25.73 and the 100-yard breaststroke in a time of 55.98 and was second in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:01.95) to junior teammate Graham Lentz (2:01.83). Lentz was second in the breaststroke category to Barbosa. Molina won the 200 IM (1:50.55) and 400 IM (3:58.65) and was second in the 100 IM (51.99).
Godec won the 50 fly (21.60) and 100 fly (48.45) and took second in the 200 fly (1:52.62) to junior teammate Patrick O'Neil (1:51.94), who was second in the fly category. Godec's time in the 100 fly was an NCAA B standard qualifying time. Meichtry won the 200 (1:38.64), was third in the 100 (45.67) and was eighth in the 50 (21.43) to take the sprint free category. Cal junior Jonas Tilly, who won the 100 free (45.11), took second in the sprint free category.
Cavic, who missed last month's tri-meet with Texas and Florida and last week's Pacific Tiger Invitational with back spasms, finished fourth in all three of his individual events: the 50 fly (22.63), 100 fly (50.91) and 200 fly (1:55.87). Freshman teammate David Russell, Barbosa and Godec swam on the first-place 400-medley relay with Cavic.
The Bears (2-0) return to dual-meet action when they host Pacific at 1 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 11, at Spieker Aquatics Complex. The competition includes a dual meet between the Cal and Pacific women.
Stanford Triple Distance Meet
2. Jonas Tilly 20.45. 4. Joe Whittington 20.95. 6. Evan Lane 21.05. 8. Dominik Meichtry 21.43. 9. Matt Lyon 21.46. 10. Dash Rothberg 21.84. 11. Eric Dunipace 22.03. 14. Nate Rogers 22.56.
1. Jernej Godec 48.45 (NCAA B). 2. Dominic Cathey 49.96. 3. Patrick O'Neil 50.31. 4. Milorad Cavic 50.91. 7. Justin Pollard 52.40.
2. David Russell 49.53. 3. Mark Eckert 50.74. 4. Chris Gibson 51.05. 5. Ryan Emanuel 51.53.
1. Jonas Tilly 45.11. 3. Dominik Meichtry 45.67. 4. Joe Whittington 45.94. 6. Evan Lane 46.14. 7. Matt Lyon 46.44. 12. Eric Dunipace 48.78. 13. Nate Rogers 49.48. 14. Dash Rothberg 49.94.
200-Yard Freestyle (sprint swimmers)
1. Dominik Meichtry 1:38.64. 2. Jonas Tilly 1:42.26. 8. Evan Lane 1:47.02. 10. Nate Rogers 1:49.88. 11. Dash Rothberg 1:51.38. 12. Eric Dunipace 1:51.87. 13. Matt Lyon 1:52.07. 14. Joe Whittington 1:52.33.
400-Yard Medley Relay
1. Cal A (David Russell, Henrique Barbosa, Jernej Godec, Milorad Cavic) 3:20.72. 2. Cal B (Mark Eckert, Graham Lentz, Dominic Cathey, Ryan Lean) 3:22.06. 5. Cal C (Ryan Emanuel, Richard Hunter, Patrick O'Neil, Eric Dunipace) 3:29.97. 7. Cal D (Chris Gibson, Graeme Baldwin, Justin Pollard, Dash Rothberg) 3:34.53.
400-Yard Freestyle Relay
1. Cal A (Dominik Meichtry, Joe Whittington, Evan Lane, Jonas Tilly) 3:00.72. 3. Cal B (Miguel Molina, Louis Vayo, Alexander Holdridge, Ian Lentz) 3:06.15. 4. Cal C (Nate Rogers, Daniel Lysaught, Spencer Rodman, Michael Jafari) 3:19.91.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive