Furious WSU Rally Falls Short At Oregon

Jan. 19, 2006

Box Score

EUGENE, Ore. - Down by as much as 18 in the second half, Washington State rallied to pull within two with a minute left but Oregon was able to withstand the Cougars' charge, and the Ducks held on for a 54-50 victory over the Cougars in Pacific-10 Conference women's basketball action, Thursday at McArthur Court.

'This is a type of team that doesn't roll over,' WSU Head Coach Sherri Murrell said of her squad. 'We play hard the whole game.'

Kate Benz led the Cougars (6-11, 0-8 Pac-10) with 14 points while Katie Appleton scored 12. It was Appleton who sparked the Cougars' second-half rally. Behind at one point 44-26, the Cougars found themselves down 48-31 when Appleton hit a 3-pointer with 8:06 left.

Appleton's 3-pointer was the first of what were three treys by the freshman in a 14-0 run that brought the Cougars to within 48-45 with 3:38 left.

Oregon's Brandi Davis stymied WSU's outburst with a bucket but a pair of Benz free throws brought the Cougars back to a single possession game at 50-47 with 2:45 left. Oregon (11-6, 2-5) extended its lead back to five at 52-47 but Benz converted a 3-pointer to bring WSU to 52-50 with a minute left.

After an Oregon missed basket, the Cougars had a chance to tie but Crystal Blue's jumper with nine seconds left fell off the mark. Davis converted a pair of free throws with 5.5 seconds remaining to secure the Ducks' win.

After spotting Oregon the game's first four points, WSU went on a 7-0 run to take a 7-4 lead five minutes in to the game.

WSU rode the momentum of that run and extended its advantage to 17-9 with 8:42 remaining in the first half.

After making its opening field goal attempt, Oregon missed 12 consecutive shots. Oregon recovered from its shooting performance and responded with a big run of its own, outscoring WSU 11-1 to regain the advantage at 20-18 with 3:03 left. After WSU reclaimed the lead at 21-20, Oregon closed the half with a 9-1 run to go in to the break with a 29-22 advantage.

After beginning the first half 1-of-12, Oregon finished the opening 20 minutes making 8 of its next 13 shots. Conversely, WSU began the half 7-of-17 and ended it by missing eight of nine attempts.

Oregon continued its scoring streak in to the second half, as it began the final 20 minutes with eight straight points to open a 37-22 advantage with 17:26 remaining.

Guard Adriane Ferguson returned to action after missing the last 12 games with a broken right fifth (pinky) finger sustained against Idaho State, Nov. 26. The junior from Spokane, Wash., played 13 minutes.

WSU returns to action at Oregon State, Saturday, Jan. 21 at 7 p.m.

Now on Pac-12 Network
6:30 AM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network