No. 20 USC Puts Away UC Santa Barbara 6-1
Jan. 24, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The 20th-ranked USC men's tennis team tacked up its third straight win of the year with a 6-1 victory over visiting UC Santa Barbara on Tuesday afternoon at Marks Stadium. Sparked by a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 3 doubles by the Trojan tandem of Adam Loucks and Garrett Snyder, USC plowed through doubles action and clinched the match with four quick singles victories. USC is now 3-1 on the season.
In singles play, Dejan Cvetkovic tallied the first USC win in a 6-3, 6-4 victory at the No. 1 position over the Gauchos' Nick Brotman. Freshman Chong Wang then picked up another point for the Trojans with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Anders Dalskov at No. 5 singles, followed by Kaes Van't Hof's 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 2 over Elad Stern to clinch the match. The victory keeps Van't Hof undefeated in dual matches this season.
Quickly following Van't Hof's victory, Adam Loucks pinned up another singles point for USC at No. 3 with a 6-2, 6-2 decision over Nijan Hejazi before the Gauchos got a win at the No. 4 position. UCSB's Carsten Thostensen battled back against Garrett Snyder to claim a 2-6, 6-4, 10-8 victory. USC's Whit Livingston also was pushed into a deciding 10-point third set, but Livingston eked out the victory with a 7-6, 6-7, 10-4 win over Max Taylor in No. 6 singles to close out the match.
USC returns to action on Friday (Jan. 27) against San Diego State. The match is set for 1:30 p.m. at Marks Stadium.
#20 USC 6, UC Santa Barbara 1
(1) Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. Brotman/Daskov (UCSB) -- 8-3
(2) Livingston/Van't Hof (USC) def. Hohenstein/Thorstensen (UCSB) -- 8-6
(3) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Hejazi/Robertson (UCSB) -- 8-0
USC wins doubles point
(1) Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) def. Nick Brotman (UCSB) -- 6-3, 6-4
(2) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Elad Stern (UCSB) -- 7-5, 6-1
(3) Adam Loucks (USC) def. Nijan Hejazi (UCSB) -- 6-2, 6-2
(4) Carsten Thorstensen (UCSB) def. Garrett Snyder (USC) -- 2-6, 6-4, 10-8
(5) Chong Wang (USC) def. Anders Dalskov (UCSB) -- 6-1, 6-4
(6) Whit Livingston (USC) def. Max Taylor (UCSB) -- 7-6, 6-7, 10-4
Order of finish: 1, 5, 2*, 3, 4, 6