Huskies Net First Win for Hultquist
Feb. 3, 2006
SEATTLE - Jill Hultquist oversaw many wins for the Washington women's tennis team during her five years as assistant coach from 1997-2002. Now she can chalk one up as Head Coach. The first year head coach guided the 26th-ranked Huskies to a 7-0 sweep over the Portland Pilots today at the Nordstrom Tennis Center for UW's first win of the season.
'It feels great,' Hultquist said after the win. 'It was a good match and the girls played well. They were all clean sets so that was good for us. I liked what the girls were doing in doubles but I think the real test will be Sunday against New Mexico. They've got two girls in the top-50 and the No. 3 doubles team in the nation so I'm looking forward to that match.'
The Huskies (1-1) did not drop a set in dispatching the Pilots. Sophomore Tara Simpson dominated Portland's Jackie Soltysik at No. 2 singles, winning 6-0, 6-1. Sophomore Allison Rainey was the next Husky through, winning 6-1, 6-2 over Lindsey Griffin at fourth singles. Senior Stephanie Svanfeldt provided the clinching fourth point at No. 5 singles, moments before freshman Victoria Brymer recorded her first career dual singles win at No. 3 singles, 6-2, 6-3 over Jenna Tanzer.
The Huskies took the early 1-0 lead with their doubles point sweep. Hadzic and Brymer made quick work of Sammis and Griffin at No. 1 doubles, 8-1. Rainey and Monika Kolbovic then clinched the point with an 8-3 victory at second doubles. UW's Simpson and Svanfeldt finished things up with an 8-6 win over Soltysik and Laura Leoni at No. 3 doubles.
The Huskies remain undefeated against the Pilots, winning all 16 matches.
The Huskies are back in action this Sunday, February 5, at 10 a.m. to take on the No. 47 New Mexico Lobos at Nordstrom Tennis Center.
Washington Women's Tennis vs. Portland
2/3/06 - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 26 Washington 7, Portland 0
1) Hadzic/Brymer (UW) def. Sammis/Griffin (UP), 8-1
2) Rainey/Kolbovic (UW) def. Kennel/Tanzer (UP), 8-3
3) Svanfeldt/Simpson (UW) def. Soltysik/Leoni (UP), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1) Dinka Hadzic (UW) def. Cristin Sammis (UP), 6-2, 6-2
2) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Jackie Soltysik (UP), 6-0, 6-1
3) Victoria Brymer (UW) def. Jenna Tanzer (UP), 6-2, 6-3
4) Allison Rainey (UW) def. Lindsey Griffin (UP), 6-1, 6-2
5) Stephanie Svanfeldt (UW) def. Katie Kennel (UP), 6-2, 6-2
6) Melinda Wong (UW) def. Anna Gullickson (UP), 7-5, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 4, 5, 3, 1, 6