No. 1 Stanford Tops Texas for National Team Indoor Championship
Feb. 5, 2006
Madison, Wis. - Top-ranked Stanford defeated 15th-ranked Texas, 4-0, today in the finals at the U.S. Tennis Association-Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Women's Team Indoor Championships at the University of Wisconsin's A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium.
In a rematch of the 2005 NCAA Championship from last May, Stanford (6-0) won the doubles point for the sixth time this season to take a 1-0 lead into singles. The Cardinal extended its lead to 3-0 with identical 6-2, 6-0 victories at No. 1 and No. 2 singles from Amber Liu and Alice Barnes.
The Longhorns were not done fighting, though, as Texas (3-3) forced the four remaining matches to third sets. Stanford sophomore Celia Durkin clinched the match at No. 6 singles, beating Ristine Olson 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
Stanford out-scored four opponents 26-0 this week to become the first team to win the title without yielding a point in the championships' 19-year history.
Stanford has now won 62 consecutive matches and finishes with 13-straight in Madison at the Team Indoors with its third-straight championship.
The Cardinal will be back on The Farm this week, as Stanford hosts No. 39 UNLV on Friday at 1:30 p.m.
No. 1 Stanford 4, No. 15 Texas 0
1. #2 Alice Barnes/Anne Yelsey (S) def. #31 Mia Marovic/Kendra Strohm (T), 8-1
2. Celia Durkin/Amber Liu (S) def. Petra Dizdar/Marija Milic (T), 8-4
3. Kelly Baritot/Courtney Zauft (T) def. Whitney Deason/Theresa Logar (S), 8-2
order of finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Amber Liu (S) def. #55 Kendra Strohm (T), 6-2, 6-0
2. #4 Alice Barnes (S) def. Petra Dizdar (T), 6-2, 6-0
3. Mia Marovic (T) led #10 Theresa Logar (S) 4-6, 6-0, 5-4 - DID NOT FINISH
4. #2 Anne Yelsey (S) led Courtney Zauft (T), 6-2, 4-6, 5-4 - DID NOT FINISH
5. Whitney Deason (S) led Kelly Baritot (T), 6-7, 6-2, 4-1 - DID NOT FINISH
6. #69 Celia Durkin (S) def. Ristine Olson (T), 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
order of finish: 1, 2, 6