No. 18 USC Trips Up 4-3 To No. 36 San Diego
Feb. 9, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The 18th-ranked USC men's tennis team suffered its third straight loss of 2006 in a 4-4 defeat to No. 36 San Diego on Thursday at Marks Stadium. Once again, the Trojans' doubles teams were solid, but couldn't close out on the singles end. The loss drops the Trojans to 4-4 on the season. San Diego is now 5-1.
USC's double tandems of Adam Loucks / Garrett Snyder and Jeff Kazarian / Kaes Van't Hof remained undefeated in double dual match action, and Jamil Al-Agba / Dejan Cvetkovic also picked up a win at No. 1 doubles to lock down the doubles point for the Trojans with a sweep.
In singles play, Van't Hof downed his Torero opponent Mirza Koristovic 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 2 position. With losses at No. 1, No. 4 and No. 5 singles, USC trailed the match 3-2. Playing at No. 6 singles, USC freshman Chong Wang made quick work of Chris Coetzee for a 6-4, 6-2 victory that tied up the match with a three-set battle raging at the No. 3 slot. Adam Loucks had come back to push the match to a deciding third set, but USD's Oscar Plotnik pulled out the match-clinching victory with a 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 score.
USC returns to action in a couple weeks when Arizona State and Arizona come to Marks Stadium. The Trojans face the Sun Devils at 1:30 p.m. on Friday (Feb. 24) and the Wildcats at 1 p.m. on Saturday (Feb. 25).
#36 San Diego 4, #18 USC 3
(1) Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. Ysern/Koristovic (USD) -- 8-6
(2) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Plotrik/Mouly (USC) -- 8-5
(3) Livingston/Van't Hof (USC) def. Coetzee/Ozurovich (USD) -- 8-1
USC wins doubles point
(1) Pierrick Ysern (USD) def. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) -- 6-3, 6-4
(2) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Mirza Koristovic (USD)-- 6-2, 6-2
(3) Oscar Plotnik (USD) def. Adam Loucks (USC) -- 7-6, 3-6, 6-4
(4) Thomas Liversage (USD) def. Jeff Kazarian (USC) -- 6-2, 6-3
(5) Ryo Sekiguchi (USD) def. Garrett Snyder (USC) -- 6-2, 7-6
(6) Chong Wang (USC) def. Chris Coetzee (USD) -- 6-4, 6-2
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 11:00am PTLive
TODAY | 3:30pm PTLive