Stanford Men Take On No. 5 Gonzaga On Saturday
Feb. 10, 2006
The Stanford men's basketball team (12-8) will face No. 5 Gonzaga (19-3) at 6 p.m. in Spokane on Saturday, February 11, on ESPN. This will be the fifth meeting between the two teams with the series tied at 2-2.
* Thursday's loss to cross-town rival California snapped a five-game winning streak for the Cardinal ... Stanford has won eight of their last 10 games.
* Matt Haryasz, Stanford's leading scorer and rebounder, did play against Cal on Thursday night, after suffering an eye injury the week before against Oregon State ... Haryasz wore goggles to protect the eye.
* Tim Morris' three assist against Cal tied a season high.
* Chris Hernandez has currently made 26 consecutive free throws dating back to the Washington State game (1/26) ... He has hit at least one three-pointer in all 20 games this season ... He has scored double-digits in five straight games.
* Center Peter Prowitt pulled down a career-high seven rebounds against the Golden Bears on Thursday night.
* There's a history there .... Coach Johnson has faced the Zags before - when he was head coach at Nevada ... Prior to taking the Stanford job, Johnson guided Nevada to the 2004 NCAATournament where the 10th-seeded Wolf Pack upset the second-seeded Bulldogs 91-72 at Seattle's Key Arena.
* Men's basketball coaches across the country are taking part this weekend with the Coaches vs. Cancer National Awareness Day (Feb. 10-12). Coaches will wear sneakers during games to show their support for the Coaches vs. Cancer program, a joint effort by the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The Stanford coaching staff will take part in this event both Thursday (vs. Cal) and Saturday (vs. Gonzaga). For more information about the American Cancer Society and the Coaches vs. Cancer program, call 1-800-ACS-2345 or visit www.cancer.org.
* Matt Haryasz has 988 career points heading into Saturday's game with Gonzaga ... He has recorded at least one block in the last seven games.
* Stanford men's basketball players Dan Grunfeld (River Hills, WI) and Chris Hernandez (Fresno, CA) were first team ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District men's basketball team selections as announced by CoSIDA. Both players are now eligible for national academic honors.
* Stanford and Gonzaga will meet for the fifth time in the series history on Saturday evening ... The two teams have split the series, 2-2 ... The Zags won the first two meetings with the Cardinal taking the latest two ... The last time the two met was in `03-`04 at the Pete Newell Challenge where Stanford won 87-80 ... The will be the first meeting in Spokane for the two squads.
* No. 5 Gonzaga will be the third ranked opponent Stanford has faced this season ... The Cardinal are 1-1 vs. ranked opponents this year.
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 5:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive