No. 23 USC Drops No. 46 Arizona State 6-1
Feb. 24, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The 23rd-ranked USC men's tennis team put a solid stop to its three-match losing slump with a 6-1 victory over visiting No. 46 Arizona State on Friday afternoon at Marks Stadium. After sweeping up the doubles point, the Trojans reeled off singles wins at the No. 1 through 5 slots to improve to 5-4 on the season.
With ITA rankings fresh under their belts, the #38 doubles duo of Jeff Kazarian / Kaes Van't Hof didn't back down, tacking up a tight 8-7 win at the No. 2 doubles position. Jamil Al-Agba / Dejan Cvetkovic and Adam Loucks / Garrett Snyder also locked down their doubles match wins to claim the doubles point for USC.
In singles play, #91 Kaes Van't Hof pulled out a three-match victory over ASU's Jonathan Kinsella at the No. 1 position. Cvetkovic, Loucks and Chong Wang each rolled to two-set wins in their respective singles clashes, while Snyder was dealt a loss at No. 6 singles. With the match already clinched for the Trojans, Kazarian and ASU opponent Nick Hegarty went into a third-set tiebreaker. That seemingly shortened ending turned into a ferocious battle, however, as the pair raged into almost a full-length set with the final decision going in Kazarian's favor with a 22-20 tiebreaker win.
USC next faces Arizona at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday (Feb. 25) at Marks Stadium.
#23 USC 6, #46 Arizona State 1
(1) Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. Kinsella/Hegarty (ASU) -- 8-4
(2) #38 Kazarian/Van't Hof (USC) def. Miller/Biro (ASU) -- 8-7
(3) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Beatty/Bellama (ASU) -- 8-6
USC wins doubles point
(1) #91 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) -- 6-4, 1-6, 6-1
(2) Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) vs. Christopher Biro (ASU) -- 6-4, 6-2
(3) Jeff Kazarian (USC) vs. Nick Hegarty (ASU) -- 3-6, 6-4, 22-20 (tiebreaker)
(4) Adam Loucks (USC) vs. Wes Miller (ASU) -- 6-1, 6-3
(5) Chong Wang (USC) vs. Mike Beatty (ASU) -- 6-3, 6-2
(6) T.J. Bellama (ASU) def. Garrett Snyder (USC) -- 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)