No. 2 USC Women Blow By No. 21 Pepperdine 6-1
March 1, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The second-ranked USC women's tennis team interrupted yet another undefeated start for another opponent on Wednesday, snapping Pepperdine's eight-match win streak with a 6-1 victory at Marks Stadium. Dianne Matias clinched the match with a win at No. 3 singles, while Anca Anastasiu closed things down with her seventh straight singles win to stay undefeated in dual match action for USC. The Women of Troy improve to 8-1 on the year.
USC moved through doubles play fairly easily, picking up the doubles point with an 8-1 win at No. 3 by Amanda Fink / Judy DeVera and an 8-3 win at No. 1 by #24 Luana Magnani / Lindsey Nelson. Carine Vermeulen / Dianne Matias were unable to pull out their No. 2 doubles win, but USC already had that point in hand entering singles action.
Lindsey Nelson slipped 6-1, 6-1 to #26 Bianca Dulgheru at No. 1 singles to tie up the match 1-1, but the Trojans didn't allow another Waves victory the rest of the way. #48 Luana Magnani tacked up USC's first singles win to claim a 7-0 record at the No. 4 singles slot for herself. Magnani's 6-3, 6-4 victory sparked a winning trend for the Women of Troy, who went on to claim the next four matches.
Top-ranked Amanda Fink drilled out a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 2 singles, followed by the 6-3, 6-4 match-clinching victory by #23 Matias. Judy DeVera wound up and posted a 6-3, 7-5 win at the No. 6 position, leading into Anastasiu's win. Anastasiu won the first set 6-4, but was trailing in the second. The junior buckled down and stole back the second set with a 7-5 win to finish off the Trojans' eight dual match win of the year.
#2 USC 6, #21 Pepperdine 1
(1) #24 Magnani/Nelson (USC) def. Kosakowski/Asimgil (PEP) -- 8-3
(2) Dulgheru/Dickes (PEP) def. Vermeulen/Matias (USC) -- 8-3
(3) DeVera/ Fink (USC) def. Dunlap/Poladian (PEP) -- 8-1
USC wins doubles point
(1) #26 Bianca Dulgheru (PEP) def. #90 Lindsey Nelson (USC) -- 6-1, 6-1
(2) #1 Amanda Fink (USC) def. Sylvia Kosakowski (PEP) -- 6-3, 6-2
(3) #23 Dianne Matias (USC) def. Natalie Braverman (PEP) -- 6-3, 6-4
(4) #48 Luana Magnani (USC) def. Merve Asimgil (PEP) -- 6-1, 6-1
(5) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Eva Dickes (PEP) -- 6-4, 7-5
(6) Judy DeVera (USC) def. Lise Sissler (PEP) -- 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: 1, 4, 2, 3*, 6, 5