No. 4 USC Women Fall 4-3 In Nonconference Play To No. 15 Baylor
March 15, 2006
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The fourth-ranked USC women's tennis team dropped only their second dual match of the year with a 4-3 upset loss to No. 15 Baylor. The Women of Troy captured the doubles point and the next two singles matches for a 3-0 lead, but were unable to finish off another singles win. The loss moves USC to 10-2 on the season, while Baylor wins their sixth straight match to improve to 12-3 overall.
USC's doubles duos of Carine Vermeulen / Dianne Matias and Judy DeVera / Amanda Fink worked smoothly through their Baylor opponents to get the Trojans the doubles point. Anca Anastasiu furthered the Trojans' cause with a 7-5, 6-1 win at No. 5 singles to remain undefeated in dual match singles play at 10-0, and then Magnani improved her dual match record to 9-1 with a 6-3, 6-1 takedown of #94 Daniela Covello at the No. 3 slot.
Up 3-0 in the match and ahead after the first set in three other singles matches, the Women of Troy seemed ready to claim a win, but Baylor's singles play stiffened. Freshman Amanda Fink -- ranked No. 3 in the nation -- took on last year's NCAA singles champ #13 Zuzana Zemenova in the No. 1 singles match. Fink won the first set, but was overtaken by Zemenova in the second and fell 0-6, 7-5, 6-1. Iva Mihalova topped USC's Judy DeVera 7-5, 6-4 in No. 6 singles, and then Klara Zrustova came back against Carine Vermeulen at the No. 4 singles position for a 4-6, 6-4, 6-0 decision that tied up the match 3-3.
That left all eyes on the No. 2 match between #48 Dianne Matias and #14 Zuzana Cerna. Matias had won the first set in a tight battle, but Cerna ended up pulling back ahead later in the match, pushing through to claim victory for the Bears witha 5-7, 6-3, 6-3 decision that closed out the match.
USC sophomore Lindsey Nelson -- the Trojans' usual No. 1 singles player -- was sidelined by illness for the match.
USC returns to action on Friday (March 18) with a nonconference showdown against crosstown opponent UCLA, which is ranked No. 17. The Lexus Gauntlet rivalry match is set for 1:30 p.m. at Mark Stadium.
#15 Baylor 4, #4 USC 3
(1) Cerna/Zrustova (BU) def. Magnani/Anastasiu (USC) -- 8-3
(2) Vermeulen/Matias (USC) def. Zemenova/Mihaylova (BU) -- 8-0
(3) DeVera/Fink (USC) def. Covello/Krchnakova (BU) -- 8-2
USC wins doubles point
(1) #13 Zuzana Zemenova (BU) def. #3 Amanda Fink (USC) -- 0-6, 7-5, 6-1
(2) #14 Zuzana Cerna (BU) def. #48 Dianne Matias (USC) -- 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
(3) #67 Luana Magnani (USC) def. #94 Daniela Covello (BU) -- 6-3, 6-1
(4) Klara Zrustova (BU) def. Carine Vermeulen (USC) -- 4-6, 6-4, 6-0
(5) Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. Zuzana Krchnakova (BU) -- 7-5, 6-1
(6) Iva Mihalova (BU) def. Judy DeVera (USC) -- 7-5, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 3, 1, 6, 4, 2*