Washington Suffers a 7-0 Defeat to the Cardinal
April 1, 2006
Palo Alto - The Washington men's tennis team fell to 13-4 overall and 0-1 in the Pac-10 due to a 7-0 loss to Stanford (10-2, 1-0). The Huskies were defeated in all three doubles matches and on all six singles courts en route to the team's second 7-0 defeat of the season. The match took place on Stanford's home court, the Taube Tennis Center.
In doubles play the Huskies lost three close matches and the first team point of the match to the Cardinal. The No. 18 doubles team of Daniel Chu and Alex Slovic were unable to play up to their usual dominate form suffering an 8-4 defeat to Stanford's KC Corkery and Matt Bruch.
Stanford continued with their momentum on the second and third doubles courts. Junior transfer student, Klaus Jank and teammate Andy Kuharszky lost in number two doubles to Blake Muller and James Pade of Stanford, 8-6. Jean-Noel Insausti and Mike Ricks were unable to hold off the onslaught of the Cardinal and suffered an 8-7 loss to James Wan and Jon Wong.
The Cardinal continued its stellar play in singles action sweeping all of the Huskies in straight sets. Junior Alex Slovic was over matched by freshman Matt Bruch 6-4, 6-4 on the fist singles court. In the second singles position, French transfer Pierre Metenier suffered a 6-1, 7-5 defeat to James Pade. Jean-Noel Insausti lost his third match of the season to Cardinal senior leader KC Corkery 6-4, 6-4.
In the bottom half of the lineup, Andy Kuharszky lost to Stanford's James Wan 6-3, 6-0. Daniel Chu played a tight match against Blake Muller but was unable to take the second set tiebreaker resulting in a 7-5, 7-6 loss. Klaus Jank rapped up singles play against Phil Kao, suffering a 6-3, 6-3 defeat.
Washington will continue conference play tomorrow against the No. 30 California Golden Bears. The match will take place in Cal's Helman tennis center at a time yet to be determined.
Pacific-10: Stanford 7, Washington 0
1. (22) KC Corkery/Matt Bruch (S) def. (18) Daniel Chu/Alex Slovic (UW), 8-4
2. Blake Muller/James Pade (S) def. Klaus Jank/Andy Kuharszky (UW), 8-6
3. James Wan/Jon Wong (S) def. Jean-Noel Insausti/Mike Ricks (UW), 8-7
1. (18) Matt Bruch (S) def. Alex Slovic (UW), 6-4, 6-4
2. James Pade (S) def. Pierre Metenier (UW), 6-1, 7-5
3. (24) KC Corkery (S) def. Jean-Noel Insausti (UW), 6-4, 6-4
4. James Wan (S) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW), 6-3, 6-0
5. Blake Muller (S) def. Daniel Chu (UW), 7-5, 7-6
6. Phil Kao (S) def. Klaus Jank (UW), 6-3, 6-3
Records: Washington (13-4, 0-1), Stanford (10-2, 1-0)
Rankings: Washington No. 26, Stanford No. 21
TOMORROW | 1:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive