Cardinal Now 13-3 After 7-0 Win Over Arizona
April 14, 2006
Stanford recorded its third shutout of the season today as the Cardinal beat visiting Arizona 7-0 at the Taube Tennis Center. Stanford, ranked 15th in the nation, improved to 13-3 overall and 4-1 in the Pac-10. The Cardinal will host Arizona State in its final regular season home match tomorrow at 1:00 pm.
Stanford, which won five of the six singles matches in straight sets, jumped on top quickly 1-0 when Phil Kao finished off Alex Labrosse, 6-3, 6-1. Victories from senior KC Corkery and Blake Muller put the Cardinal on top 3-0 and set up James Pade to win the clinching match.
Corkery, ranked 24th in the nation, easily beat Arizona's Roger Matalonga, ranked 43rd, 6-3, 6-0 at No. 1 singles. Corkery improved his dual match record to 13-1 and his overall mark to 23-3. Muller then beat Bruno Alcala at No. 4, 6-4, 6-4 to put the Cardinal ahead 3-0.
Pade provided the clinching match at No. 2 singles when he beat UA's Jeff Groslimond, 7-5, 7-5 to give Stanford a 4-0 and its 13th win of the season. Senior Jon Wong defeated Peter Zimmer in the only three-set match of the day, 6-7, 6-4, 6-3 to give Stanford a 5-0 lead. The Cardinal completed the singles sweep when James Wan beat Claudio Christan, 7-5, 7-5.
Stanford completed the sweep by winning all three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. . Corkery and Pade, currently the 13th ranked doubles team in the nation, beat Christan and Groslimond, 8-2 at No. 1 doubles. Matt Bruch teamed with Muller at No. 2 doubles and recorded an 8-6 win over Matalonga and Francois VanderMerwe, while at No. 3, Chris Rasmussen and Dave Ryan defeated Zimmer and Alcala, 9-8.
Pacific-10 Conference: Stanford 7, Arizona 0
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. #13 KC Corkery/James Pade (S) d. Claudio Christan/Jeff Groslimond (A), 8-2
2. Matt Bruch/Blake Muller (S) d. Roger Matalonga/Francois VanderMerwe (A), 8-6
3. Dave Ryan/Chris Rasmussen (S) d. Peter Zimmer/Bruno Alcala (A), 9-8
1. #24 KC Corkery (S) d. #43 Roger Matalonga (A), 6-3, 6-0
2. James Pade (S) d. Jeff Groslimond (A), 7-5, 7-5
3. James Wan (S) d. Claudio Christan (A), 7-5, 7-5
4. Blake Muller (S) d. Bruno Alcala (A), 6-4, 6-4
5. Phil Kao (S) d. Alex Labrosse (A), 6-3, 6-1
6. Jon Wong (S) d. Peter Zimmer (A), 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 5-1-4-*2-6-3
Records: Arizona (11-8, 2-3), Stanford (13-3, 4-1)
Rankings: Arizona #46, Stanford No. 15
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
Thu 8/22 | 6:30pm PTLive