Huskies Drop Overtime Decision to Bears, 77-69

Jan. 13, 2007

BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) -Ayinde Ubaka scored six of his 13 points in overtime and Ryan Anderson added 18 points and 14 rebounds to lead California to a 77-69 victory over Washington on Saturday.

The Golden Bears (11-6, 3-2 Pac-10) pulled away in the extra session after Washington's Justin Dentmon could only make one of two free throws with 0.2 seconds left in regulation with a chance to give the Huskies their first road win of the season.

Ubaka hit a jumper on the first possession of overtime and then scored off a perfect backdoor pass from Omar Wilkes to make it 71-67. Washington (11-6, 1-5) turned the ball over on its first three possessions of the extra session and never threatened after that.

Ryan Anderson extended the lead to six when he rebounded an airball by Theo Robertson and hit a jumper as the shot clock was winding down. After another Huskies miss, Ubaka hit one of two free throws to make it 74-67 with 57.7 seconds left.

Spencer Hawes ended Washington's overtime drought with a hook shot with 47.6 seconds remaining, but the Bears iced it at the foul line and the Huskies didn't score again.

Hawes led the Huskies with 13 points, Dentmon added 12 and Jon Brockman and Ryan Appleby had 11 apiece. After starting the season 10-1, Washington has struggled in Pac-10 play. The Huskies were swept in the Bay Area by Cal and Stanford after opening the conference season with losses in Los Angeles to USC and UCLA.

Robertson added 14 points for Cal and Wilkes chipped in 13.

The game was tight the entire second half, with neither team leading by more than three points at any time. Eric Vierneisel hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 8.8 seconds remaining to give Cal a 67-66 lead

Dentmon then took the ball the length of the floor and missed underneath. But he got his own rebound and drew a foul away from the basket from Anderson with 0.2 seconds to go.

After Cal called a time-out, Dentmon missed the first foul shot. After another time-out, the 84 percent foul shooter made the second free throw to send the game into overtime.

Cal, which had been outrebounded by more than nine per game since center DeVon Hardin went down with a knee injury, controlled the boards against the bigger Huskies. The Bears rebounded missed free throws twice on one trip in the second half and outrebounded Washington 47-36 for the game. The Huskies had been outrebounding the opposition by nearly 11 boards per game.

Robertson, who came into the game with 10 3-pointers on the season, hit three from long range in the first half. His third was part of a 7-0 run that gave Cal a 27-20 lead.

Washington responded with eight in a row and the game stayed close for the rest of the half with the Bears leading 35-33 at the break. The Huskies could have had the lead if they shot better than 6-for-13 from the foul line.

Now on Pac-12 Network
1:30 PM PT

Airing on:

  • Pac-12 Network
Get Pac-12 Networks
Pac-12 Networks Channel Finder