No. 15 USC Men Win Seventh Straight, Beat #18 Boise State 5-2
Feb. 10, 2007
LOS ANGELES, CALIF. -- The No. 15 USC men's tennis team made another powerful 2007 statement with its seventh straight win of the year, going on a tear through doubles and singles to take a lead and get the win on the way to a 5-2 victory over visiting No. 18 Boise State on Saturday afternoon at Marks Stadium. For the seventh consecutive match, the Trojans tacked up the doubles point and then three straight singles win to ensure victory. USC improves to 7-0 with the win.
This time, USC again swept its doubles matches, sparked by an 8-3 win by Adam Loucks / Garrett Snyder at the No. 3 position. It took a comeback victory at No. 2 by Robert Farah / Kaes Van't Hof to secure the point, however, as the Trojan duo had been down 7-4 before staking a comeback win, 9-7, over Dilas/L. Shields. At No. 1, Jamil Al-Agba / Dejan Cvetkovic staged a similar effort, trailing 7-4 before tying it up and claiming the win with an 8-6 tiebreaker that made it an 8-7 decision for the Trojans over Robertson/C. Shields.
With that point tucked away, USC peeled out to three straight singles wins. Van't Hof started it off with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 3 over Dilas, and then Robert Farah pinned up a 6-4 6-2 win over Roberson to make it 3-0 USC. From his No. 6 position, Garrett Snyder clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Brent Werbeck. Boise State notched its first point of the match with #94 Clancy Shields' 6-3, 7-5 win over Dejan Cvetkovic at the No. 2 slot, but USC won the next point on a 7-6 (4), 6-0 victory from #91 Jason McNaughton at No. 5 over Blake Boswell. The last match of the day saw the Broncos' #15 Luke Shields top USC's Jamil Al-Agba 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 1 position.
USC now takes a slight break from competition, with the final match in its eight-match home stretch coming against Texas A&M on Feb. 23 at 1 p.m. at Marks Stadium
No. 15 USC 5, No. 18 Boise State 2
(1) Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) def. Robertson/C. Shields (BSU) -- 8-7 (8-6)
(2) Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Dilas/L.Shields (BSU) -- 9-7
(3) Loucks/Snyder (USC) def. Boswell/Roberson -- 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
(1) #15 Luke Shields (BSU) def. Jamil Al-Agba (USC) -- 6-3, 6-3
(2) #94 Clancy Shields (BSU) def. Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) -- 6-3, 7-5
(3) Kaes Van't Hof (USC) def. Piotr Dilas (BSU) -- 6-3, 6-2
(4) Robert Farah (USC) def. Eric Roberson (BSU) -- 6-4, 6-2
(5) #91 Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Blake Boswell (BSU) -- 7-6 (4), 6-0
(6) Garrett Snyder (USC) def. Brent Werbeck (BSU) -- 6-1, 6-3*
Order of finish: 3, 4, 6*, 2, 5, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 7:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 12:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 3:00pm PTLive