Cardinal Drops 7-0 Decision at No. 8 Baylor
Feb. 11, 2007
The Cardinal ran into one of the most talented teams in nation today in Waco, Texas, as the eighth-ranked Baylor Bears dealt No. 27 Stanford a 7-0 defeat at the Baylor Tennis Center. The Bears, which beat third ranked and previously unbeaten UCLA on Saturday, won all six singles matches in straight sets. Today's match, called the HP Cup, will be televised at a later date on the Tennis Channel.
Today, however, was all about Baylor. The Bears sport four nationally-ranked players in their singles lineup while the Cardinal's starting six includes three freshman and two sophomores. Stanford, which was shutout for the second straight match, is now 0-4 in 2007.
The Bears took a 1-0 lead when Dominik Mueller, ranked No. 53 in the nation, beat Stanford freshman Kevin Kaiser, 6-4, 6-0, at No. 5 singles. Baylor made it 2-0 when Matija Zgaga defeated Eric McKean, 6-2, 6-2.
Baylor made it 3-0 after Michal Kokta, No. 17 in the nation, handed Matt Bruch a 6-1, 6-4 defeat at No. 1 singles. The Bears clinched the match when Denes Lukacs, No. 66 in the country, defeated Cardinal freshman Paul Morrissey, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 6 singles.
Stanford will next play at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in Chicago against Ohio State on Feb. 16. The Buckeyes, currently ranked No. 2 in the nation, will be Stanford's third consecutive match against top-10 teams.
Stanford Men's Tennis Results
February 11, 2007
Baylor Tennis Center
Baylor 7, Stanford 0
Doubles (Baylor wins doubles point)
1. Lars Poerschke/David Galic (B) d. Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S), 8-4
2. Michal Kokta/Denes Lukacs (B) d. Paul Morrissey/Richard Wire (S), 8-5
3. Attila Bucko/Dominik Mueller (B) d. Eric McKean / Jeff Zeller (S), 8-4
Order of finish: 1-2-3
1. #17 Michal Kokta (B) d. Matt Bruch (S), 6-1, 6-4
2. #56 Lars Poerschke (B) d. Richard Wire (S), 6-4, 6-4
3. Matt Brown (B) d. Blake Muller (S), 6-1, 7-5
4. Matija Zgaga (B) d. Eric McKean (S), 6-2, 6-2
5. #53 Dominik Mueller (B) d. Kevin Kaiser (S), 6-4, 6-0
6. #66 Denes Lukacs (B) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-4, 6-2
Order of finish: 5-4-1-6*-2-3
Records/Rankings: No. 27 Stanford (0-4), No. 8 Baylor (6-1)
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TOMORROW | 4:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 6:00pm PTLive
TOMORROW | 8:00pm PTLive