Men's Tennis Falls to No. 25 Stanford 5-2
Feb. 23, 2007
PALO VERDE, Calif. - The 2007 ASU Men's Tennis team suffered their first loss of the season Friday afternoon as they fell 5-2 to the No. 25 Stanford Cardinal at the Taube Tennis Center in Palo Verde, Calif. The Sun Devils fall to 6-1 on the season with a match against #29 Cal looming tomorrow.
The Cardinal dominated in doubles, as they swept the Sun Devils, who were unable to get anything rolling. ASU tied the score 1-1 in the start of singles though with Juan Carlos Rebaza topping Stanford's Blake Miller in the No. 2 spot in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0.
The only other highlight for the Devils was T.J. Bellama in the five spot defeating Paul Morrissey 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 for ASU's second point of the match.
Stanford went on to sweep the rest of the singles and take the match 5-2. ASU falls to 6-1 on the season as they travel to Berkeley to take on the #29 Cal Golden Bears tomorrow.
Results from #45 ASU vs. #28 Stanford
1. Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. Wes Miller / Matt Brooklyn (ASU), 8-4
2. Paul Morrissey / Richard Wire (S) vs. Juan Carlos Rebaza / Nick Hegarty (ASU) 8-5
3. Eric McKean / Jeff Zeller (S) d. Murilo Souza / T.J. Bellama (M), 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Richard Wire (S) d. Matt Brooklyn (ASU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) d. Blake Muller (S), 6-2, 6-0
3. Eric McKean (S) d. Nick Hegarty (ASU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Wes Miller (ASU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. T. J. Bellama (ASU) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
6. Jeff Zeller (S) d. Murilo Souza (ASU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 6, 3, 4, 1, 5