Stanford Defeats Arizona State 5-2
Feb. 23, 2007
Stanford led the whole way and defeated previously undefeated Arizona State today 5-2 at the Taube Tennis Center on Stanford University. This was the second victory in a row for Stanford following a 4-3 win over Miami last Sunday. Stanford won all three doubles matches to start the day and the strong play continued into the singles play.
The Cardinal, ranked No. 25 in the nation, are now 2-6 on the season. ASU, falls to 6-1 on the season as they were dealt their first loss. Arizona State is ranked 46th in the nation.Stanford won the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead heading into singles, but Arizona State junior Juan Carlos won the first singles match to tie the match at a score of 1-1.
After Arizona State tied the score, Stanford never looked back. Stanford sophomore Jeff Zeller won his singles match over Murilo Souza 6-2, 6-2 and senior Erik McKean made quick work of ASU senior Nick Hegarty 6-3, 6-1. Freshmen Kevin Kaiser had to work into a third set, but was able to defeat Arizona State sophomore Wes Miller, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, to clinch the win for Stanford. Freshmen Richard Wire was able to win 6-4, 6-4 against Matt Brooklyn and Stanford ended the day with a 5-2 match victory to give the Cardinal their second win.
For the third match in a row, the Cardinal has won the doubles point to take a 1-0 lead into singles play. Stanford won at No. 1 doubles as sophomore Matt Bruch and junior Blake Muller beat Wes Miller and Matt Brooklyn 8-4. In No. 2 doubles, freshmen Paul Morrissey and Richard Wire defeated Juan Carlos Rebaza and senior Nick Hegarty 8-5. To complete the doubles, Eric McKean and Jeff Zeller handled Murilo Souza and sophomore T.J. Bellama by a score of 8-4.
Stanford returns to action tomorrow when they host the University of Arizona on Saturday, Feb. 24th at the Taube Tennis Center at 1:00 PM.
Stanford Men's Tennis Results:
February 23, 2007
Taube Tennis Center
Stanford 5, Arizona State 2
Doubles (Stanford wins doubles point)
1. Matt Bruch / Blake Muller (S) d. Wes Miller / Matt Brooklyn (ASU), 8-4
2. Paul Morrissey / Richard Wire (S) vs. Juan Carlos Rebaza / Nick Hegarty (ASU) 8-5
3. Eric McKean / Jeff Zeller (S) d. Murilo Souza / T.J. Bellama (M), 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Richard Wire (S) d. Matt Brooklyn (ASU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) d. Blake Muller (S), 6-2, 6-0
3. Eric McKean (S) d. Nick Hegarty (ASU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Kevin Kaiser (S) d. Wes Miller (ASU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
5. T. J. Bellama (ASU) d. Paul Morrissey (S), 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
6. Jeff Zeller (S) d. Murilo Souza (ASU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 6, 3, 4, 1, 5
Records/Rankings: No. 25 Stanford (2-6), No. 46 Arizona State (6-1)