Men's Tennis Fall to No. 18 South Alabama and No. 20 Clemson.
March 12, 2007
CLEMSON, S.C. - The Arizona State Men's Tennis team jumped into action again Sunday and Monday afternoon as they faced off against No. 18 South Alabama and No. 20 Clemson at the Clemson Invitational in South Carolina. The Sun Devils fell in both matches, 5-2 against South Alabama and 7-0 to the Clemson Tigers. ASU is now 8-4 on the season as they return home to host USC and UCLA this weekend at ASU's Whiteman Tennis Center.
In singles, the Sun Devils started to fight back as in the No. 1 spot Juan Carlos Rebaza beat 94th-ranked Dias Doskarayev 6-2, 2-6, 7-5. Murilo Souza in the six spot also came out with a win for ASU, beating Craig Dunne 6-1, 4-6, 7-6. Their fellow Devils hung tough, with almost all of the singles matches going to three sets, but ultimately fell 5-2.
Against the No. 20 Clemson, the Sun Devils couldn't seem to get a hold on the Tigers as their only win of the day came in doubles with the No. 1 team of Wes Miller and Matt Brooklyn beat Celment Reix and Ryan Young 8-4.
ASU returns to action this weekend as they take on USC and UCLA on Friday, March 16 and Saturday, March 17 at ASU's Whiteman Tennis Center. The matches are set to start at 1:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. PT.
Results of ASU vs. S. Alabama
1. Robert Hodel/Marek Sramek (USA) def. Matt Brooklyn/Wes Miller (ASU) 8-3
2. Juan Carlos Rebaza/Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. R.J. Nagel/Dias Doskarayev (USA) 8-5
3. Jack Baker/Craig Dunne (USA) def. Murilo Souza/T.J. Bellama (ASU) 8-3
1. Juan Carlos Rebaza (ASU) def. #94 Dias Doskarayev (USA) 6-2, 2-6, 7-5
2. Jack Baker (USA) def. Matt Brooklyn (ASU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-1
3. #27 Marek Sramek (USA) def. Wes Miller (ASU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Robert Hodel (USA) def. Nick Hegarty (ASU) 6-4, 6-4
5. R.J. Nagel (USA) def. T.J. Bellama (ASU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6
6. Murilo Souza (ASU) def. Craig Dunne (USA) 6-1, 4-6, 7-6
Results of ASU vs. Clemson:
1. Miller-Brooklyn (AS) d. Reix-Young (CU) 8-4
2. Jenkins-Fleck (CU) d. Hegarty-Rebaza (AS) 8-6
3. Alvarez-Bizjak (CU) d. Souza-Bellama (AS) 9-8
1. Clement Reix (CU) d. Juan Carlos Rebaza (AS) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Jarmaine Jenkins (CU) d. Matt Brooklyn (AS) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
3. Ryan Young (CU) d. Wes Miller (AS) 6-7, 6-3, 7-6
4. Rok Bizjak (CU) d. Nick Hegarty (AS) 6-0, 6-4
5. Carlos Alvarez (CU) d. T.J. Bellama (AS) 6-4, 6-2
6. Kevin Fleck (CU) d. Murilo Souza (AS) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1