Huskies Earn 5-2 Road Victory Over Hawai'i
March 21, 2007
Chu and Slovic, ranked 31st nationally in doubles, beat Hawai'i's Andreas Weber and Sascha Heinemann to earn the 80th wins of their respective Husky careers. They are the first UW players to reach the 80-win plateau in school history.
Chu added a singles victory to run his combined doubles and singles win total to 149. He is one win short of becoming just the sixth player in the Huskies' 99-year history of reaching the 150-win plateau. Slovic, who lost at the No. 1 singles spot, ran his combined wins total to 168.
The Huskies ran their overall doubles record in dual matches to 35-8 (.814) by taking all three matches. Slovic and Chu ran their record to 7-0, while Patrik Fischer and Michael Ricks improved to a team-best 10-3 and Derek Drabble and Andy Kuharszky improved to 5-1.
Washington extended its early 1-0 lead to an insurmountable 4-0 lead before Hawai'i earned victories in the No. 1 and No. 2 singles spots. Weber, ranked No. 60 nationally, beat Slovic 7-6, 6-4, while Heinemann, ranked 81st, beat Kuharszky 6-3, 7-6.
Fischer beat Chad Faulk 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4 singles to raise his record to 9-3 in dual matches and Drabble won in straight sets at No. 5. Ricks won 6-2, 6-2 at No. 6 to close out the scoring for the Huskies.
Washington will stay in Hawai'i until Friday before returning to the mainland. Next on the slate for the Huskies is their Pac-10 opener at 7th-ranked USC on March 30 and at 8th-ranked UCLA on March 31.
'We're real excited to get our Pac-10 Conference season started,' said Husky Head Coach Matt Anger. 'I just wish we could be playing them at home.'
Hawai'i (4-6) vs. #27 Washington (12-3)
UH Tennis Complex; Honolulu, Hawai'i
Washington 5, Hawai'i 2
1. #60 Andreas Weber (UH) def. Alex Slovic (UW), 7-6, 6-4
2. #81 Sascha Heinemann (UH) def. Andy Kuharszky (UW), 6-3, 7-6
3. Daniel Chu (UW) def. Derrick Lajola (UH), 6-2, 6-4
4. Patrik Fischer (UW) def. Chad Faulk (UH), 6-2, 6-2
5. Derek Drabble (UW) def. Jeff Fitch (UH), 6-3, 7-6
6. Michael Ricks (UW) def. Brent Hunter (UH), 6-2, 6-2
1. #31 Daniel Chu/Slovic (UW) def. Weber/Heinemann (UH), 8-7
2. Fischer/Mike Ricks (UW) def. Lajola/Spence Mendoza (UH), 8-1
3. Drabble/Kuharsky (UW) def. Faulk/Fitch (UH), 8-4
Order of Finish:
Doubles: 2, 3, 1
Singles: 4, 6, 3, 2, 5, 1
RELATED NEWS & VIDEOS
TODAY | 6:00pm PTLive
TODAY | 8:00pm PTLive